Small Pressurized Container up to 100,000ft

• Thread starter ricfor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Container
In summary: Would you mind posting a link to a more controlled study?I found this study that is more controlled. It's at this link.Interesting, but not exactly a controlled test. Would you mind posting a link to a more controlled study?Sure, I'll add it to the post. Thanks.In summary, a small pressurized container can be made from a 2 liter pop bottle, and is adequate to withstand heights up to 100,000 ft. Audio will be audible up to this height, provided the container is pressurized.
ricfor
Hello, looking for any info out there on building a small pressurized container for weather balloon experiment. Only needs to withstand heights up to 100,000 ft. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ricfor said:
Hello, looking for any info out there on building a small pressurized container for weather balloon experiment. Only needs to withstand heights up to 100,000 ft. Anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks
That's awfully broad. Pretty sure I could find a container that can hold 1 atmo of pressure with both hands closed and one eye tied behind my back.

By some accounts, a 2L pop bottle will hold several atmos.

Thanks Dave, we're learning...

So 1 atmosphere not too big a deal?

Tell me what you would use if you we`re going to send some cameras up there to play and record audio.

ricfor said:
Thanks Dave, we're learning...

So 1 atmosphere not too big a deal?

Tell me what you would use if you we`re going to send some cameras up there to play and record audio.
Why would you need to pressurize it?

Why would you need to play audio at 100,000ft?

Science experiment, to hear what it sounds like. Sounds like not enough vacuum at 100k ft to make it not audible?

At what height would absence of sound waves make it inaudible?

ricfor said:
Science experiment, to hear what it sounds like. Sounds like not enough vacuum at 100k ft to make it not audible?

At what height would absence of sound waves make it inaudible?
Ah. I wondered if that's where you were going with it.

Then you definitely don't want it in a pressurized container, do you! That would utterly defeat your experiment.

Doh, of course. Thanks. So you think audio will be...audible?

ricfor said:
Doh, of course. Thanks. So you think audio will be...audible?

Hard to say, but my money would be on yes.

A quick Google will show you the pressure at 100,000ft as a fraction of pressure at sea level.

It's low, but seems to me it would be enough, though your sound will be very thin.

OK, let's give it a try. I'll post results here.

Thanks for your help.

Don't forget your baseline test here at sea level, so you have something to compare it to...

This guy that jumped from the balloon at 100000ft said that he couldn't hear anything...and he was going something close to 700mph.

Lsos said:
This guy that jumped from the balloon at 100000ft said that he couldn't hear anything...and he was going something close to 700mph.
Interesting, but not exactly a controlled test.

What is a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft?

A small pressurized container up to 100,000ft is a device designed to maintain a stable internal pressure while being exposed to high altitudes, typically up to 100,000 feet. It is commonly used for scientific experiments, weather balloons, and space exploration.

How does a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft work?

A small pressurized container up to 100,000ft works by using a combination of materials, such as lightweight metals or composite materials, to create a strong and airtight structure. It also uses a valve or regulator to control the pressure inside the container, ensuring it remains stable even at high altitudes.

What are the applications of a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft?

A small pressurized container up to 100,000ft has various applications in the fields of aerospace, atmospheric research, and space exploration. It can be used to carry scientific instruments, collect air samples, or even transport living organisms to high altitudes for research purposes.

What are the challenges in designing and using a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft?

The main challenges in designing and using a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft include the need for lightweight and strong materials, as well as the ability to withstand extreme changes in temperature and pressure. Specialized equipment and testing are also required to ensure the container can function properly in high altitude environments.

What are the safety precautions to consider when using a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft?

When using a small pressurized container up to 100,000ft, it is important to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and handling the container with care. It is also essential to properly pressurize and depressurize the container to avoid any potential hazards. Regular maintenance and inspection of the container are also necessary to ensure its safe use.