Fresnel amplitude coefficients for unpolarized light

In summary, there is a simple expression for the average fractional amplitude of the reflected light assuming random polarization, which can also be extended to an arbitrary proportion of s-polarized and p-polarized waves. This expression takes into account the reflection coefficients and their corresponding phase shifts.
Nono713
Gold Member
MHB
Hi,
I have an issue with the Fresnel amplitude coefficients. I know they are given in two versions, for s-polarization and p-polarization. A version for unpolarized (randomly polarized) light is available for the power coefficients - it's just an average - but I could not find such an expression for the amplitude coefficients. From the power coefficient average expression I get:

$$r_\text{avg} = \sqrt{\frac{|r_s|^2 + |r_p|^2}{2}}$$

Which is obviously wrong, since this value is always real and positive which doesn't make sense for amplitude coefficients (I think).

So is there a simple expression for the average fractional amplitude of the reflected light assuming light is randomly polarized (equal amount of s-polarized and p-polarized waves)? And can the result be extended to an arbitrary proportion of s-polarized and p-polarized waves (say 25%, 30%, etc..)

Or does it simply not make sense to try and find an average of amplitudes? I need this to analyze interference effects, I could go with two versions dependent on the polarization of light, and average the final reflectance at the end, but it seems cleaner and easier to have a single expression. Thanks...

I should mention this is for a computer graphics project and I do not know that much about electromagnetism, please go easy on me :)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Thanks for your help!Yes, it is possible to find an average fractional amplitude of the reflected light assuming light is randomly polarized. The average reflection coefficient can be written as:$$r_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\left[|r_s|e^{i\phi_s} + |r_p|e^{i\phi_p}\right]$$ where $r_s$ and $r_p$ are the reflection coefficients for s- and p-polarized light, respectively, and $\phi_s$ and $\phi_p$ are the corresponding phase shifts.This expression can also be extended to an arbitrary proportion of s-polarized and p-polarized waves, simply by multiplying each coefficient by the appropriate fraction. For example, if the light is 25% s-polarized and 75% p-polarized, the expression becomes:$$r_{avg} = \frac{1}{2}\left[0.25|r_s|e^{i\phi_s} + 0.75|r_p|e^{i\phi_p}\right]$$ Hope this helps!

1. What are Fresnel amplitude coefficients for unpolarized light?

Fresnel amplitude coefficients for unpolarized light are the ratios of the amplitudes of the reflected and transmitted light waves to the incident light wave. They are used to describe the behavior of unpolarized light when it encounters an interface between two media with different refractive indices.

2. How are Fresnel amplitude coefficients calculated?

Fresnel amplitude coefficients are calculated using Fresnel's equations, which take into account the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the polarization state of the incident light. These equations can be solved analytically or numerically to determine the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of Fresnel amplitude coefficients?

Fresnel amplitude coefficients are important for understanding the behavior of light at interfaces between different media. They can be used to calculate the intensity and direction of reflected and transmitted light, and are essential in the design and analysis of optical systems such as lenses, mirrors, and filters.

4. How do Fresnel amplitude coefficients differ for polarized and unpolarized light?

For polarized light, there are two sets of Fresnel amplitude coefficients, one for the s-polarization (perpendicular to the plane of incidence) and one for the p-polarization (parallel to the plane of incidence). For unpolarized light, these coefficients are averaged together to account for the random polarization state of the incident light.

5. Are Fresnel amplitude coefficients affected by the wavelength of light?

Yes, the Fresnel amplitude coefficients are dependent on the wavelength of light. This is because the refractive index of a medium is wavelength-dependent, and the angle of incidence also affects the coefficients. Therefore, different wavelengths of light will have different Fresnel amplitude coefficients at the same interface between two media.