Calculate light intensity after reflection/refraction

In summary, to determine the brightness of an autocue display, multiply the calculated reflection coefficient with the LCD display's brightness of 300 cd/m^2. To calculate the perceived brightness at a certain distance, use the inverse square law and consider using lumen instead of cd/m^2.
arnoke
Hi all,

I'm playing around with an autocue type of display. So basically, there is an LCD display that reflects light on a piece of plexi, at a 45 degrees angle.

I know that the LCD dispay is horizontally polarized, so I can calculate the refraction and reflection coefficients of the horizontally polarized light using the fresnel equations to find out how much light is reflected to the viewer, and how much light is refracted and thus lost.

The brightness of the LCD display is 300 cd/m^2.

Now, I would like to express the brightness of my 'autocue display' in cd/m^2 too.

So my first question is; Do I just multiply the calculated reflection coefficient with 300 cd/m^2 to obtain the brightness of the autocue display?

Next, I would also like to express the perceived brightness of the screen depending on the viewing distance. When I'm watching the screen from 30cm distance the perceived brightness is much higher then when I'm watching it from 2m distance.

Now, I know that light intensity follows the inverse square law, so when the distance doubles, the intensity is divided by 4.

So my next question is: How can I express and calculate the perceived brightness at a certain distance? I'm having a feeling I should work with lumen instead of cd/m^2 for this part, but I'm not sure how to proceed...

Thanks a lot!
Arno

Science news on Phys.org
</code>The brightness of an autocue display can be calculated by multiplying the calculated reflection coefficient with the LCD display's brightness of 300 cd/m^2. To express the perceived brightness of the screen depending on the viewing distance, you can use the inverse square law to calculate how the intensity changes when the distance doubles. To do this, divide the intensity by 4. To express the perceived brightness at a certain distance, you may need to use lumen instead of cd/m^2. Lumen is a measure of the total amount of light emitted from a source in all directions. You can calculate the total amount of light emitted from a source using the formula I=P/4πr² where P is the power of the source and r is the distance.

1. How do you calculate light intensity after reflection?

The formula for calculating light intensity after reflection is I_r = I_i * (cosθ)^2, where I_r is the reflected light intensity, I_i is the incident light intensity, and θ is the angle of incidence.

2. What factors affect the light intensity after reflection?

The main factors that affect light intensity after reflection are the angle of incidence, the surface reflectivity, and the distance between the reflecting surface and the light source.

3. How do you calculate light intensity after refraction?

The formula for calculating light intensity after refraction is I_t = I_i * (n_1/n_2)^2 * (cosθ_1/cosθ_2)^2, where I_t is the transmitted light intensity, I_i is the incident light intensity, n_1 and n_2 are the refractive indices of the two media, and θ_1 and θ_2 are the angles of incidence and refraction, respectively.

4. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection is the bouncing of light off a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a different medium. Reflection occurs when the light hits a smooth surface, while refraction occurs when the light passes through a transparent medium with varying densities.

5. How does the angle of incidence affect light intensity after reflection/refraction?

The angle of incidence plays a significant role in determining the light intensity after reflection and refraction. As the angle of incidence increases, the reflected light intensity decreases, while the transmitted light intensity increases. This is because a steeper angle of incidence leads to more light being reflected and less light being transmitted.