Calculating High-Symmetry Point Coordinates in Band Structure Computations

In summary, these tutorials discuss computing the band structure for different systems by using e.g. L-Gamma-X-(U)Gamma circuits. There are different points along the line from one point to another that are used to calculate the band structure, and these numbers are arbitrary.
saray1360
Hi,

In all the tutorials of DFT softwares I have encountered computing of the band structure for different systems by using e.g. L-Gamma-X-(U)Gamma circuits. In the texts I have read I have found about X & Gamma but what are L & (U)-Gamma?

I also enountered that they have separated the k-lengths into 10, 12 and 17 divisions? why is that? and how can we find L Gamma and X coordinates?

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,
Sara Y

Likes guedman
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking at the abinit tutorials?

These points are generally special points of high symmetry in the first Brillouin zone (FBZ). These are almost always on the surfaces of the FBZ, usually in the center of faces, at corners or centers of edges. There's a picture of the first Brillouin zone for an fcc lattice here, with the special point marked:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brillouin_zone

X is in the center of the square face, L is in the center of the hexagonal face, and U is in the center of the edge that connects those two faces. These points are different for each reciprocal zone (for instance, a hexagonal crystal does not have an X special point). The one exception is the Gamma point, this is always at the zone center, with coordinate (0,0,0).

The 10, 12, and 17 are the number of points along the line from one point to another that are used to calculate the band structure. These numbers are arbitrary, however it is common to choose numbers proportionate to the distance, for instance X-U is a much shorter distance than L-U, so you would choose to use fewer k-points along the X-U direction.

Thank you very much Kanato.
Yes I am reading abinit tutorial.

Continuing with the same question, can anybody demonstrate how to calculate the coordinates of these high symmetry points?
Gamma is (0 0 0), X is (0.5 0 0). Now how do you compute for rest of the points? What axis these co-ordinates refer to? and are they 'reduced'? I want to calculate for tetragonal lattice which has symmetry points namely Gamma, X, M, Z, R and A .

1. What is band structure computing?

Band structure computing is a method used in condensed matter physics and materials science to calculate the electronic band structure of a material. It involves solving the Schrödinger equation for a periodic crystal lattice, which provides information about the energy levels and allowed electronic states in the material.

2. Why is band structure computing important?

Band structure computing is important because it provides valuable information about the electronic properties of materials. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior of materials and predicting their potential uses in various applications, such as electronics, energy storage, and catalysis.

3. What are the main techniques used in band structure computing?

The main techniques used in band structure computing include density functional theory, tight-binding approximation, and k·p perturbation theory. These methods use different approaches to solve the Schrödinger equation and calculate the electronic band structure of a material.

4. What are the limitations of band structure computing?

Despite its usefulness, band structure computing has some limitations. These include the assumption of a perfect crystal lattice, neglect of electron-electron interactions, and the use of approximations in the calculation. These limitations can affect the accuracy of the results and require careful interpretation of the data.

5. How is band structure computing used in real-world applications?

Band structure computing is used in various real-world applications, such as designing new materials for electronic devices, optimizing the performance of solar cells, and predicting the behavior of materials under extreme conditions. It is also used to study the electronic properties of materials at the atomic level and provide insights for experimental investigations.