What is the Rating column for?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
In summary, the Rating column in the forum is used for members to vote on how much they liked a thread, but it became meaningless due to prank votes. Now, the column only contains icons to show if a thread has attachments or tags. However, older threads that were rated still display their ratings, such as in the General Discussion forum.
flatmaster
What is the Rating column for? All I see on this end is an icon. I'm not sure what it means.

Physics news on Phys.org

That was an old feature.

Thanks

Sorry, I should have elaborated. Members could vote on how much they liked a thread by giving it a rating of 1-5. But it became meaningless because cranks would vote for or against something as a joke.

Now that column just seems to contain icons to indicate if a thread has an attachment (a paperclip icon) or tags (a tag icon, though on first glance, I thought it was a pencil :rolleyes:).

Threads old enough to have been rated at one time still show their rating. Check out General Discussion for example:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Two of the stickied threads, plus "Ask a Stupid Quetion...", have ratings displayed there.

FAQ: What is the Rating column for?

What is the Rating column for?

The Rating column is used to indicate the level of quality or performance of a particular item. It is often used in reviews, ratings systems, or surveys to gather feedback from users.

How is the Rating column determined?

The Rating column is typically determined by a set of criteria or standards that have been established for the specific item being rated. These criteria can vary depending on the context, but they are usually based on factors such as functionality, usability, design, or overall satisfaction.

Why is the Rating column important?

The Rating column is important because it allows users to easily compare and evaluate different items based on their level of quality or performance. It can also provide valuable feedback to developers or manufacturers on how to improve their products.

Can the Rating column be subjective?

Yes, the Rating column can be subjective as it is based on individual opinions and experiences. However, in order to maintain consistency and accuracy, most rating systems have guidelines or criteria to follow when assigning a rating.

How can the Rating column be used?

The Rating column can be used in a variety of ways, such as in online reviews, product ratings, customer satisfaction surveys, or even in academic research. It can also be used by individuals to keep track of their own ratings for different items or experiences.