A new telescope can detect a candle across the Atlantic

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter map19
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, a candlepower is defined as 1/683 Watts at 540 X 10^9Hz. This gives photon energy at 2.2 eV. One candlepower produces 4.2 x 10^15 photons/s radiated isotropically. At 3,000km the area of the sphere is about 10^14m^2. The associated electromagnetic field would be very small, but not zero. A second is a long time in quantum matters.
map19
Publicity often says that a new telescope can detect a candle across the Atlantic, etc.
Well, a candlepower is defined as 1/683 Watts at 540 X 10^9Hz.
This gives photon energy at 2.2 eV.
One candlepower produces 4.2 x 10^15 photons/s radiated isotropically.
At 3,000km the area of the sphere is about 10^14m^2
So the photon density at the telescope is 4.2 x 10^15/10^14 or about 4 photons per sq meter per second.
Two things to note:
The associated electromagnetic field would be very small, but not zero.
A second is a long time in quantum matters.
My questions are: How do you demonstrate the area covered by a photon at the telescope mirror ?
How long is the photon wavetrain ?
(I can’t believe I’m asking this) does the field collapse to the photon particle ?
Is this like the photoelectric effect where a classical calc shows that 10 minutes or so would be required to dislodge the electron, where in fact it occurs in about 10^-9s.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

The "practical" answer is that you can "pretend" that your photon is a classical EM wave up until it hits the actual detector (which in real-life is always a farily small device; usually just microns in size); i.e the mirror/antenna or whatever you are using (depends on the wavelength) to focus the radiation is just designed using standard optics/engineering and only the bolometer (or whatever type of detector is used) needs to be designed using QM.

No need to 'pretend' you can measure the electric and magnetic fields to show it is an EM field.
Bohm has demonstrated that there is no 'collapse' and his ontological description of boson fields does not imply boson particles, such as photons.
for an electron to be raised to an excited state by the field by interaction, the whole system - field plus atom - enters a new state in which the quantum of energy has gone into the atom. Somehow the quantum of energy has been gleaned from the whole field.
The field has continuous coverage and you can not specify that it is in packets before it reaches the atom.
That's why I gave the example of the photoelectric effect.

That is not what I meant.

My point was that even for a single photons the classical EM equations seems to work well when designing antennas and optics. Note that this is not a "trivial" result; a full QM (QED)description of e.g. a waveguide will give you a result that is in general NOT identical to what you expect from classical physics.
However, for a number state it turns out that the classical equations and QM agree (although there might be some higher order corrections; I don't remember the details), which is why we can use our normal "toolbox" of techniques and equations for just about everything except the detector itself.

What interpretation you use is irrelevant; that the classical equations are a good approximation (or in some cases identical) to the full QM model is a mathematical -not a philosophical- result.

Agreed. But this still leaves me frustrated.
I want to know why, let's use the photoelectric effect, energy from the field can appear within the orbit of an atom and trigger excitation within a nanosecond, when the classical calc says that 10 minutes of continuous exposure would be required at the quoted field strength.
And, in general, if you quote photons only, see QED by Feynman, how long is the wavetrain. it has to be at least a few cycles.

1. How is it possible for a telescope to detect a candle across the Atlantic?

This is possible because the telescope uses advanced technology and has a powerful lens that allows it to capture and magnify the light emitted by the candle, even from a great distance.

2. What type of telescope is able to perform this feat?

The type of telescope that can detect a candle across the Atlantic is known as a long-range telescope. It is specifically designed with a large aperture and high magnification capabilities to capture distant objects.

3. What other objects can this telescope detect from far distances?

This telescope is primarily used for astronomical observations, so it can detect a variety of objects such as stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. It can also be used for surveillance and military purposes to detect distant objects on Earth.

4. How does the telescope account for factors like atmospheric distortion and light pollution?

The telescope is equipped with adaptive optics technology, which helps to correct for atmospheric distortion by adjusting the shape of the telescope's mirror. It also has filters to block out light pollution and enhance the visibility of distant objects.

5. Is this telescope accessible to the general public?

Unfortunately, this type of telescope is not commonly accessible to the general public. They are usually owned and operated by scientific organizations, government agencies, or private companies for specialized purposes. However, some observatories may offer public tours and viewings through their telescopes.