Dirac Notation: Am I doing this right?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the momentum operator for a harmonic oscillator using ladder operators, and a specific problem using the momentum operator for a superposition of states. The resulting answer is not zero as it is a superposition of different quantum states.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Find <P>. P = i√(mhw/2)(a†-a). Note a† and a are the ladder operators. P is the momentum operator of the harmonic oscillator.

|ψ > = (1/sqrt(2))[ |1> - i |2>]

The answer should be zero, can someone check my work?

Homework Equations

a† |n> = sqrt(n+1)|n+1>

a |n> = sqrt(n)|n-1>

The Attempt at a Solution

I think my first step here might be wrong. I assumed that <ψ | = (1/sqrt(2))[ <1| + i <2|].

<P> = <ψ | P | ψ > = (1/sqrt(2))[ <1| + i <2|] i√(mhw/2)(a†-a) (1/sqrt(2))[ |1> - i |2>]

= (1/2)i√(mhw/2)[ <1| + i <2|] * (a†|1> - i*a†|2> - a|1> + i*a|2>]

= (1/2)i√(mhw/2)[ <1| + i <2|] * [sqrt(2)|2> - i*sqrt(3)|3> - sqrt(1)|0> + i*sqrt(2)|1>]

Since <x|y> = 1 when x = y but 0 otherwise, this reduces to

= (1/2)i√(mhw/2)[ <1| + i <2|] * [sqrt(2)|2> - i*sqrt(3)|3> - sqrt(1)|0> + i*sqrt(2)|1>]

=(1/2)i√(mhw/2) (isqrt(2)<1|1> + isqrt(2)<2|2>) = (1/2)i√(mhw/2) ( 2isqrt(2))

= -sqrt(mhw)

But I think the answer is supposed to be zero. What am I doing wrong here?

I already checked for sign mistakes 3 times, and I can't find any.

Physics news on Phys.org
No matter how I work it out, your result is correct.

The answer is not zero.

What you'r thinking of is [itex]\left\langle n \right| P \left| n \right\rangle[/itex] = 0,

which is a specific case of the general expression

[itex]\left\langle n' \right| P \left| n \right\rangle= i\sqrt{\frac{mhω}{2}}(-\sqrt{n}δ_{n',n-1}+\sqrt{n+1}δ_{n',n+1})[/itex]

Since your wavefunction is a superposition of states, it doesn't turn out to be zero. I can show my work if you like.

I found this in a textbook I have. Quantum Mechanics Concepts and Applications 2nd, Zettili, pg 248.

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I am a bit confused though, what are n and n prime? I don't really get how what I have is different from <n | P | n> = 0?

Does this mean it only works for pure states?

jumbogala said:
Thank you very much! I am a bit confused though, what are n and n prime? I don't really get how what I have is different from <n | P | n> = 0?

Does this mean it only works for pure states?

n and n prime are two different quantum states.

This means [itex] \left\langle 1 \right| P \left| 1 \right\rangle = 0 [/itex] but [itex] \left\langle 2 \right| P \left| 1 \right\rangle[/itex] is not equal to zero.

when I worked it out, it turns out that [itex]\left\langle 1 \right| P \left| 2 \right\rangle = -\left\langle 2 \right| P \left| 1 \right\rangle = -i\sqrt{mhω}[/itex]

Here is a picture of my messy scratchwork. :redface:
http://i.imgur.com/ekIjb.jpg

Excellent, that was super helpful! Thanks again :) I understand now.

You're welcome! I actually remembered not to forget this rule myself!

FAQ: Dirac Notation: Am I doing this right?

1. What is Dirac notation?

Dirac notation, also known as bra-ket notation, is a mathematical notation used to represent quantum states in quantum mechanics. It was developed by physicist Paul Dirac and is widely used in quantum mechanics and quantum information theory.

2. How is Dirac notation used?

Dirac notation is used to represent quantum states, operators, and measurements in quantum mechanics. It is a concise and powerful notation that allows for easy manipulation of mathematical expressions and calculations.

3. What do the symbols in Dirac notation mean?

The bra-ket notation consists of two symbols: the bra, represented by ⟨, which represents a row vector, and the ket, represented by ⟩, which represents a column vector. Together, they form a bracket ⟨⟩ which is used to represent an inner product between two vectors.

4. How do I know if I am using Dirac notation correctly?

To ensure that you are using Dirac notation correctly, make sure that you are following the proper order of operations and using the correct symbols. Also, be sure to double-check your calculations and make sure they align with the principles of quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any common mistakes when using Dirac notation?

One common mistake when using Dirac notation is forgetting to include a normalization factor when calculating inner products. Another mistake is not using the correct symbols or not following the proper order of operations. It is important to be careful and precise when using Dirac notation to avoid these mistakes.

Back