What Speed Will the Spacecraft Hit the Moon's Surface?

• Thread starter Azytzeen
  • Start date
In summary, an unmanned spacecraft is orbiting the moon at 40.0km altitude and experiences an electrical fault causing a decrease in speed by 30.0m/s. With no correction, it will crash into the lunar surface. To solve for the speed, the gravitational constant, mass of the Moon, and radius of the Moon are given. The approach is to use energy conservation and balance centripetal and centrifugal forces to find the initial kinetic energy and energy due to falling, which will then determine the speed at impact. Further guidance may be needed to solve the problem.
Azytzeen
An unmanned spacecraft is in a circular orbit around the moon, observing the lunar surface from an altitude of 40.0km (see Appendix F). To the dismay of scientists on earth, an electrical fault causes an on-board thruster to fire, decreasing the speed of the spacecraft by 30.0m/s.

If nothing is done to correct its orbit, with what speed (in km/h) will the spacecraft crash into the lunar surface?
Take the gravitational constant to be 6.673*10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2, the mass of the Moon to be 7.75*10^22, and the radius of the Moon to be 1.74*10^6.

Ok, um, how do I approach this problem? I can't reason it out. Please don't do the problem for me. I really want to learn how to do this, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, um, how do I approach this problem? I can't reason it out. Please don't do the problem for me. I really want to learn how to do this, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks in advance.
Great approach.

Now you know that the spacecraft crashes into the moon so you do not need to worry about how it gets to the moons surface.

Now there is a certain amount of energy gained from falling from the spacecraft s orbit to the surface.<-use energy conservation.

The spacecraft also starts out with a certain amount of kinetic energy determined by it velocity and mass. The problem does not state the velocity that the spacecraft has before it is decreased by 30.0m/s. You know though that it was in a stable orbit however.

Have you found the velocity of a spacecraft in a stable orbit before? You have to balance the centripetal force and the centrifugal forces.

After finding the initial kinetic energy and the energy due to falling you should be able to find the speed at which it hits the planet.

Was this too much info?

Hi there,

I understand your frustration with this problem. It can be overwhelming to approach a physics problem without any prior knowledge or understanding. However, let's break it down step by step and see if we can find a solution together.

First, let's identify what we know and what we are looking for. We know that the spacecraft is in a circular orbit around the moon at an altitude of 40.0km. We also know that an electrical fault has caused a decrease in the spacecraft's speed by 30.0m/s. We are looking for the speed at which the spacecraft will crash into the lunar surface.

Next, let's see if we can use any equations to solve this problem. The first equation that comes to mind is the equation for centripetal force, which is Fc = mv^2/r. This equation relates the centripetal force (Fc) to the mass of the object (m), its velocity (v), and the radius of its orbit (r). However, we don't have enough information to directly use this equation.

But, we do know that the decrease in speed is caused by an on-board thruster firing. This means that a force is acting on the spacecraft in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that force (F) is equal to mass (m) times acceleration (a), or F = ma. In this case, the acceleration is the change in velocity (30.0m/s) divided by the time it took for the thruster to fire.

Now, we can use the force calculated from Newton's second law and plug it into the equation for centripetal force, along with the mass of the moon and the radius of the orbit, to solve for the velocity at which the spacecraft will crash into the lunar surface.

I encourage you to try out these steps and see if you can come up with a solution. If you get stuck, don't hesitate to reach out for further assistance. Good luck!

What is "Masterphysics again, ARGH"?

"Masterphysics again, ARGH" is a phrase commonly used to express frustration or confusion when trying to understand complex physics concepts.

Why is "Masterphysics again, ARGH" a common phrase among scientists?

Physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, so scientists often encounter difficult or confusing concepts that require a lot of effort to understand. The phrase is a way to express the challenges of mastering physics.

Does "Masterphysics again, ARGH" have a negative connotation?

Not necessarily. While it may indicate frustration, it can also be used in a light-hearted or humorous way among scientists who understand the struggles of studying physics.

Is there a solution to avoiding the need to use "Masterphysics again, ARGH"?

Unfortunately, no. Mastering physics requires dedication, hard work, and a willingness to grapple with difficult concepts. However, seeking help from peers, mentors, and resources can make the process more manageable.

How can one minimize the use of "Masterphysics again, ARGH"?

One way to minimize the frustration associated with complex physics concepts is to break them down into smaller, more manageable pieces. Additionally, finding ways to apply the concepts in real-world situations can make them more tangible and easier to understand.