Pseudoephedrine now a controlled substance in Oregon

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I suppose the DEA could set a limit on the number of pseudoephedrine tablets a person could possess, but then again I'm doubtful that would be effective...) In summary, Ore. is trying to fight meth by putting cold drugs behind the counter and requiring prescriptions. This may or may not make a difference, but it will inconvenience many people.
Moonbear said:
No thanks, I'll stick to medicines that are tested for safety, efficacy, and have quality control regulations to comply with.

but the ironic thing is, the psuedoephedrine makes an unsafe and illegal drug...
:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
Pseudoephredrine has been around for years, buying it in the generic form such as Wal-phed used to be very inexpensive. Since my state passed a law requiring that it be kept behind the counter the price has doubled?

There are dozens of brands of cold medicine on the shelves. Most of them are a mix of ingredients, including pseudoephedrine which is the decongestant. You can buy any medicine that says "decongestant" on the bottle, and get relief of cold symtoms.

Only pure unmixed pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride can be cooked into meth.
The Mexican Mafia has started large meth labs south of the border. The authorities don't bother them there and they have an endless supply of the base ingredient.

It will take international cooperation to deal with the meth problem, and I don't see that happening.

Last edited:
All I want is the triprolidene. I am a chronic allergy sufferer and it is the ONLY thing that gives me relief. Unfortunately, I can only get it over the counter mixed with pseudoephedrine. :grumpy:

This stuff is freeking amazing. I've gotten quite a few people hooked on it when I gave them some and within 30 minutes, what they thought was unbearable sinus congestion that could only be slightly relieved by any medicine went away like magic. I don't want pseudoephedrine.

edit: edward, good point, also, pseudoephedrine can be purchased on the internet and those purchases are not monitored. :bugeye:

Last edited:
Kerrie said:
but the ironic thing is, the psuedoephedrine makes an unsafe and illegal drug...
:rofl:
Yes, but the psuedoephedrine itself isn't an unsafe and illegal drug. A lot of other common household items are used in the manufacture of meth as well, but you don't see people flipping out about those.

You people and your sicknesses :P

Last time i touched a medicine was... hmm... besides a headache every few months... it must have been 5 years at least since I've even touched medicine for anything.

Pengwuino said:

Last time i touched a medicine was... hmm... besides a headache every few months... it must have been 5 years at least since I've even touched medicine for anything.
I still think of you as that awesome penguin tower <fans herself> Uhm..anyway :blushing: Just wait, your body will start to fall apart. :devil:

I saw last night that other states and the feds are looking to follow Oregon's lead.

btw, Penguino is now a colonel in the Norwegian Army, isn't he?

Pengwuino said:

Honestly, I would much prefer to stay home in bed and eat chicken soup all day when I have a cold rather than take medication, but I never seem to catch colds at convenient times when I can stay home and just be sick.

Ivan Seeking said:
btw, Penguino is now a colonel in the Norwegian Army, isn't he?

Sir yes Sir!

Moonbear said:
I don't think it's just going to be them with a problem (it's also not going to kill you to not have cold medicine for a cold...it does only alleviate symptoms, not cure the illness). I'm hardly working poor, but the reason I want cold medicine when I have a cold is that I don't have time to waste being slowed down with a cold, which means I don't have time to go see a doctor either. Also, if I have a cold, the last thing I want to do is sit in a waiting room full of flu patients and contract the flu from them. I go out of my way to avoid scheduling doctor's appointments during cold and flu season.

I'm sure that's going to be the real outcome, they'll find ways around the system to get prescriptions illegally or will just steal them, etc.

No thanks, I'll stick to medicines that are tested for safety, efficacy, and have quality control regulations to comply with.
Er? These medicines were created by the Yellow Emperor (Huang Di). I think you can safely say they have been tested.

The over the counter medicine I mentioned to you is produced in an ISO approved plant (Pei Pa Jiao).

You may want to review some Chinese medicines.

There were quite a few Soldiers in Vietnam who made it back when they were wounded due to herbs like Yunnan Pai Yao. Which the medics discovered while on leve in HK.

Like I said, most of these medicines are free of a lot of the side effects of 'chemical medicines' like sleepiness.

The Smoking Man said:
Er? These medicines were created by the Yellow Emperor (Huang Di). I think you can safely say they have been tested.

The over the counter medicine I mentioned to you is produced in an ISO approved plant (Pei Pa Jiao).

You may want to review some Chinese medicines.

There were quite a few Soldiers in Vietnam who made it back when they were wounded due to herbs like Yunnan Pai Yao. Which the medics discovered while on leve in HK.

Like I said, most of these medicines are free of a lot of the side effects of 'chemical medicines' like sleepiness.

i have read and heard too that a lot of eastern medicines treat the problem and prevent more illnesses, where western medicine tends to treat more symptoms...at least that is the general approach.

i never have liked taking cold/allergy meds either, i don't like the "buzz" effect i get. for allergies, i have been told to take raw bee pollen from the area you live in because it helps your body in mode to deal with allergies...sort of like how the flu shot works i guess. i have tried the bee pollen thing, and it does seem to help.

it's interesting how western society has made so many progresses in medicine, but then only to backfire on us and create a problem for everyone.