Deriving the Lorentz Velocity Tranformation

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of deriving a velocity addition formula using four velocities and the Lorentz transformation matrix. The question presented was how to find the speed of an object B with respect to another object C, when both are moving relative to a third object A. The conversation also touched on the use of rapidities in this derivation process.
Jibobo
Most textbooks derive this formula by taking the derivative of the Lorentz position transformation. However, I've been presented the problem of deriving it using four velocities and the Lorentz transformation matrix. Unfortunately I've been looking at it for hours and still don't know how to make it come out right.

The exact question:
"In A's frame, B moves to the right with speed v, and C moves to the left with speed u. What is the speed of B, w, with respect to C? In other words, use 4-vectors and the LT to derive the velocity addition formula

w = u + v / (1 + uv/c^2)

More specifically, work only with the four velocities and ask how does v look from C's point of view."

Assigning a velocity vector v = d/dt (ct, x, y, z) = (c, 0, 0, 0) to B in its own frame, I've tried transforming the velocity of B to A's frame, and then transforming that velocity to C's frame, which gives me
w = y_u * y_v * (u + v)
where y_u is 1/(1 - (u/c)^2)^0.5 and y_v is 1/(1 - (v/c)^2)^0.5. This doesn't seem to simplify into the Lorentz velocity transformation.

What's wrong with my logic and what should I do to fix it?

I also considered finding x' and t' and simply dividing x' by t', which does give me the correct answer, but I don't believe that's what they want me to do, since they say specifically to "work only with four velocities."

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work for your expression for w?
I think you may be missing a certain factor of [tex]\gamma[/tex] (y, in your notation).

Since the y and z components are 0, I'm going to work with truncated 4-vectors.

y_v = 1 / (1 - (v/c)^2)^0.5
y_u = 1 / (1 - (u/c)^2)^0.5
B_v = v/c
B_u = u/c

My work:
From B to A
V_B in B = V_BB = (c, 0)
V_BA = (y_v...B_v*y_v * V_BB = (y_v*c, B_v*y_v*c) = (y_v*c, y_v*v)
...B_v*y_v...y_v)

And then from A to C
V_BC = (something, w)
V_BC = (y_u...B_u*y_u * V_BA = (something, B_u*y_u*y_v*c + y_u*y_v*v)
...B_u*y_u...y_u)
= (something, y_u*y_v*u, y_u*y_v*v)

So I end up with w = y_u*y_v*(u + v)

Last edited:
Let me try to TeX this for you:

Jibobo said:
"From B to A"
[tex]
\tilde V_{BB}=\left( \begin{array}{c} c\\ 0 \end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]
\tilde V_{BA}=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\gamma_v & \gamma_v\beta_v \\
\gamma_v\beta_v & \gamma_v \\
\end{array}
\right)\tilde V_{BB}
=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\gamma_v & \gamma_v\beta_v \\
\gamma_v\beta_v & \gamma_v \\
\end{array}
\right)
\left( \begin{array}{c} c\\ 0 \end{array} \right)=
\left( \begin{array}{c} \gamma_v c\\ \gamma_v\beta_v c \end{array} \right)=
\left( \begin{array}{c} \gamma_v c\\ \gamma_v v \end{array} \right)[/tex]

"And then from A to C"
[tex]
\tilde V_{BC}=\left( \begin{array}{c} ? \\ w \end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]
\tilde V_{BC}=
\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\gamma_u & \gamma_u\beta_u \\
\gamma_u\beta_u & \gamma_u \\
\end{array}
\right)\tilde V_{BA}
=\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
\gamma_u & \gamma_u\beta_u \\
\gamma_u\beta_u & \gamma_u \\
\end{array}
\right)
\left( \begin{array}{c} \gamma_v c \\ \gamma_v v \end{array} \right)=
\left( \begin{array}{c} ?' & \gamma_u\beta_u \gamma_v c + \gamma_u\gamma_v v \end{array} \right)
=
\left( \begin{array}{c} ?' & \gamma_u \gamma_v u + \gamma_u\gamma_v v \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

"So I end up with w = y_u*y_v*(u + v)"

So, it looks like you essentially transformed a 4-velocity at rest in B to one with relative-velocity v (representing A). Then you transformed this 4-velocity again with relative-velocity u (representing C). You then tried to equate the spatial components.

Admittedly, it "kinda" looks close. But I think there are some inconsistencies in notation and signs.

Allow me to change notation to improve the bookkeeping.

B's 4-velocity in A's reference frame has the form [tex]\tilde V_{BA}=\gamma_{BA}\left( \begin{array}{c} c \\ v_{BA}\end{array}\right) [/tex], where [tex]\gamma_{BA}=(1-(v_{BA}/c)^2)^{-1/2}[/tex] and [tex]v_{BA}=v[/tex].

C's 4-velocity in A's reference frame has the form [tex]\tilde V_{CA}=\gamma_{CA}\left( \begin{array}{c} c \\ v_{CA}\end{array}\right) [/tex], where [tex]\gamma_{CA}=(1-(v_{CA}/c)^2)^{-1/2}[/tex] and [tex]v_{CA}=-u[/tex].

You want [tex]\tilde V_{BC}=\gamma_{BC}\left( \begin{array}{c} c \\ v_{BC}\end{array}\right) [/tex] where [tex]v_{BC}=w[/tex] is the spatial relative-velocity of B in C's reference frame. [In your last post, you are missing this gamma factor.]

In order to make the calculation a little more transparent, let me introduce the rapidities so that
[tex]\tilde V_{BA}=\gamma_{BA}\left( \begin{array}{c} c \\ v_{BA}\end{array}\right) =\cosh\theta_{BA}\left( \begin{array}{c} c \\ c\tanh\theta_{BA}\end{array}\right)=c\left( \begin{array}{c} \cosh\theta_{BA} \\ \sinh\theta_{BA}\end{array}\right)[/tex] where [tex]\theta_{BA}=\theta_B-\theta_A[/tex].
(Relative-rapidities are additive... relative-velocities are not.)
For consistency, I probably should have written [tex]\theta_{BA}=\theta_{BX}-\theta_{AX}[/tex] where X refers to any inertial reference frame you want to measure this.

Similarly, [tex]\tilde V_{CA}=c\left( \begin{array}{c} \cosh\theta_{CA} \\ \sinh\theta_{CA}\end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\tilde V_{BC}=c\left( \begin{array}{c} \cosh\theta_{BC} \\ \sinh\theta_{BC}\end{array}\right)[/tex].

So, now: we want to write
[tex]\begin{align*}
\tilde V_{BC} &= \Lambda_{CA} \tilde V_{BA}\\
c\left( \begin{array}{c} \cosh\theta_{BC}\\ \sinh\theta_{BC} \end{array}\right)
&=\left( \begin{array}{cc}
\cosh\theta_{CA} & -\sinh\theta_{CA} \\
-\sinh\theta_{CA} & \cosh\theta_{CA} \\
\end{array} \right) c
\left( \begin{array}{c} \cosh\theta_{BA} \\ \sinh\theta_{BA} \end{array}\right)\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I think this looks notationally consistent. (Someone check!)
I'll let you carry out the matrix multiplications to obtain an expression for [tex]\sinh\theta_{BC}[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta_{BA}[/tex] and [tex]\theta_{CA}[/tex]. Of course, if you divide this expression by [tex]\cosh\theta_{BC}[/tex], you get [tex]\tanh\theta_{BC}[/tex] on the left hand-side, which is [tex]\frac{1}{c} v_{BC} [/tex].

When working with rapidities, one manipulates somewhat familiar trigonometric functions and their identities (and their geometric interpretation) rather than relatively obscure identities involving [tex]\gamma[/tex] and [tex]\beta[/tex] "factors".

Thanks a lot for the help. I am actually completely unfamiliar with rapidities and have done very little with hyperbolic trig functions, but I was still able to solve it through some terrible algebra after you told me that I was missing the y_BC term.

1. What is the Lorentz Velocity Transformation?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation is a mathematical formula used to describe the relationship between velocities as perceived by two different observers in special relativity. It takes into account the fact that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. Why is the Lorentz Velocity Transformation important?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation is important because it helps us understand how the laws of physics change at high speeds and how time and space are relative. It is a crucial component of Einstein's theory of special relativity and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

3. How is the Lorentz Velocity Transformation derived?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation is derived using the principles of special relativity, including the constancy of the speed of light and the relativity of simultaneity. It involves mathematical equations and calculations, which can be found in textbooks and online resources.

4. What are the assumptions made in deriving the Lorentz Velocity Transformation?

The main assumptions made in deriving the Lorentz Velocity Transformation are the constancy of the speed of light for all observers, the relativity of simultaneity, and the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all inertial frames of reference.

5. How is the Lorentz Velocity Transformation related to time dilation and length contraction?

The Lorentz Velocity Transformation is closely related to the concepts of time dilation and length contraction, which are consequences of special relativity. The transformation takes into account the fact that time and space are not absolute, but rather depend on the relative speeds of observers. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for objects moving at high speeds, while length contraction refers to the shortening of objects in the direction of motion.