Help understanding coefficient formula

In summary, the conversation is about understanding an equation for determining a coefficient based on the size of dimples on a golf ball. The equation includes a term R1, which is explained as a weight ratio in the paper cited. The person asking for clarification is wondering how to calculate R1 and the responder suggests using values from figure 5 and equation 8 in the paper. The responder also notes that R1 is likely close to 1. The person asking for clarification thanks the responder for their help.
andyfive
Hi,

I am trying to understand an equation which I have come across for determining a coefficient based on the size of dimples on a golf ball :

CD_Size = R1·(-3.125·(c/d)+0.25)

In the description, it indicates that R1 indicates a weight ratio of CD_Size.

Can anyone please explain what R1 is and how it is to be calculated?

FYI. the paper this came from can be found on this link :

http://www.ijimt.org/papers/419-D0260.pdf

Many Thanks,

Andy.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A quick look at that paper suggests to me that R1 and R2 are just fitting constants. R1 can be calculated by taking values from figure 5 and substituting them into equation 8 (or better yet, doing it for all values and then taking an average). R1 looks to me to be very close to 1, perhaps slightly less.

Likes 1 person
Benit13 said:
A quick look at that paper suggests to me that R1 and R2 are just fitting constants. R1 can be calculated by taking values from figure 5 and substituting them into equation 8 (or better yet, doing it for all values and then taking an average). R1 looks to me to be very close to 1, perhaps slightly less.

Thanks for your reply Benit13. I see what you are saying. Effectively, working backwards from the results in figure 5 to obtain R1. I have not come across the term 'weight ratio' (or as you describe it, fitting constant). They do not seem to explain how they have derived these 'weight ratios' in the paper or why they are used. Still, many thanks again, your reply has really helped.

Andy.

1. What is a coefficient formula?

A coefficient formula is a mathematical equation that is used to calculate the coefficient of a variable or term in a larger mathematical expression. It is typically represented by a letter or symbol and indicates the numerical value or factor by which a variable is multiplied.

2. How is a coefficient formula used?

Coefficient formulas are used in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, and statistics. They are used to represent relationships between variables and to make predictions or calculations based on those relationships. For example, in physics, the coefficient of friction formula is used to calculate the force of friction between two surfaces.

3. What is the difference between a coefficient and a constant?

A coefficient is a numerical value that is multiplied by a variable, while a constant is a fixed value that does not change. In a coefficient formula, the coefficient represents the variable component of the equation, while the constant represents the fixed or known value.

4. Can a coefficient be negative?

Yes, a coefficient can be negative. A negative coefficient indicates that the variable or term it is associated with has an inverse relationship with the other variables or terms in the equation. In other words, as the value of the negative coefficient increases, the value of the other variable decreases.

5. How do you solve for a coefficient?

To solve for a coefficient, you need to know the values of the other variables or terms in the equation and use algebraic methods to isolate the variable with the coefficient. This will allow you to determine the numerical value of the coefficient and use it in further calculations or analyses.