Beer-Lamberts Law Homework: Understanding Boltzmann Constant Unit

• Thread starter nordmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation discusses the Beer-Lambert law and how the concentration n is replaced with an equation involving the volume ratio. The unit of the Boltzmann constant is being questioned in relation to this equation and the paper linked to provides more information. The goal is to plot the transmission as a function of % of the species, but the paper can only be accessed by those with a login. The units for linestrength and absorption coefficient are also mentioned.
nordmoon

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand a formula on a paper. On page 3138-3139 they express the Beer-Lamberts law in which they replace the concentration n with an equation involving the volume ratio ( I am guessing its the molarfraction of the investigated species). What I would like to know is the unit of Boltzmann constant kb to make this happen. I don't see how the units can fit.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{cp}{kT}[/tex]

where c is the volume part (volume ratio) of the absorbing gas in the gas mixture, T is the temperature of the gas, k is the Boltzmann constant (unit?), p is pressure in [atm].

The Attempt at a Solution

This equation should fit to Beer law,

exp( - alpha(v)*n*l ) = exp (- tau )

where tau is unitless and alpha(v) is specific absorption coefficient per
absorbing particle and is caluclated with help of Hitran by alpha(v) = S(T)*g(v-vo) [ unit: 1/(molecule cm-2) ] and l is path length of radiation through the absorbing medium [ unit: cm ].

It's the unit of n I am trying to determine, and thus Boltzmann constant.

According to above it should be [molecules cm-3] so that tau becomes unitless.

What I know the unit if Kb is 0.659 cm-1 K-1. And there is the [ atm ] from the pressure I am missing and [ molecules ]. If c is a fraction this is unitless, so I don't see how this can go together.

This has been taken from this paper: http://iopscience.iop.org.ludwig.lub.lu.se/0022-3727/35/23/315/pdf/0022-3727_35_23_315.pdf

"Experimental verification of gas spectra calculated for high temperatures using the
HITRAN/HITEMP database"

My goal is to plot the transmission as function of % of the species.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are aware of the fact that paper you linked to is available only to those that can log in?

Borek said:
You are aware of the fact that paper you linked to is available only to those that can log in?

Well, yes. That is why I have written everything in detail. However if you have access to the university as student or teacher you should be able to log in and read it.

I noticed that the unit is [ cm -2 atm -1 ] for the linestrength S. In hitran this is [ cm-1 / ( molecules cm-2 ) ] and absorption coefficent is [ cm-1].

I don't see the connection.

1. What is Beer-Lambert's Law and how is it related to Boltzmann's constant?

Beer-Lambert's Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the concentration of a substance, the path length of light through the substance, and the absorbance of light by the substance. This law is related to Boltzmann's constant because it helps to explain the relationship between the energy of molecules and their temperature, which is a key factor in the Beer-Lambert equation.

2. What are the units of Boltzmann's constant?

Boltzmann's constant has the units of energy per temperature, specifically joules per kelvin (J/K). It can also be expressed in units of entropy per temperature (J/K).

3. How is Boltzmann's constant used in the Beer-Lambert equation?

Boltzmann's constant is used in the Beer-Lambert equation to convert between energy units and temperature units. It helps to relate the energy of molecules to their temperature, which is necessary for calculating the absorbance of light by a substance.

4. Can Boltzmann's constant be measured experimentally?

Yes, Boltzmann's constant can be measured experimentally using various methods such as measuring the velocity of particles in a gas or studying the behavior of particles in a magnetic field. The currently accepted value for Boltzmann's constant is 1.380649 × 10^-23 joules per kelvin.

5. How does understanding Boltzmann's constant help in understanding the behavior of particles?

Understanding Boltzmann's constant is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles because it helps to explain the relationship between the energy of particles and their temperature. This is important in various fields such as thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and quantum mechanics, as it allows scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles in different conditions.