Vectors that constitute the diagonals of this parallelogram

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the vectors that constitute the diagonals of a parallelogram given two vectors that form the sides. It is determined that the diagonals are <4,4> and <-4,4> or <4,-4> and it is shown that they intersect at right angles by taking the dot product. The order of the vectors does not matter and this method can be applied to any vector-defined parallelogram.
nick227
this is for my mechanics course, but its just dealing with vectors. sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Homework Statement

The problem is:
You are given two vectors (4,0) and (0,4) that form the sides of a parallelogram. Determine the vectors that constitute the diagonals of this parallelogram and show by means of vector properties that they intersect each other at right angles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that you start at the origin for the vectors. Then you would add the vectors, so the diagonals would be (4,4). I'm not sure if both diagonals would be (4,4).
Once I have the diagonals, I think that you would take the dot product and if it equals 0, then that would prove that they intersect at right angles.

Physics news on Phys.org
nick227 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that you start at the origin for the vectors. Then you would add the vectors, so the diagonals would be (4,4). I'm not sure if both diagonals would be (4,4).
Once I have the diagonals, I think that you would take the dot product and if it equals 0, then that would prove that they intersect at right angles.

In fact, your parallelogram is a square. You are correct both in saying that one diagonal is < 4,4 > and that *both* are not.

Think about the diagonals (or even draw a picture) and consider what the components for that other diagonal would have to be.

the other diagonal... one end is at (0,4) and the other end is as (4,0) so then would the diagonal be <4,-4>?

nick227 said:
the other diagonal... one end is at (0,4) and the other end is as (4,0) so then would the diagonal be <4,-4>?

That would be one way of writing it; I was thinking of <-4,4>, which is really just the vector of the same length in the opposite direction.

The point is: if we call one of the vectors defining one set of parallel sides of the parallelogram a and the vector defining the other set of parallel sides b, how could we calculate the vectors representing the two diagonals?

dynamicsolo said:
That would be one way of writing it; I was thinking of <-4,4>, which is really just the vector of the same length in the opposite direction.

The point is: if we call one of the vectors defining one set of parallel sides of the parallelogram a and the vector defining the other set of parallel sides b, how could we calculate the vectors representing the two diagonals?

the vectors representing the two diagonals would be a-b, right?

nick227 said:
the vectors representing the two diagonals would be a-b, right?

Well, the second one you came up with is, and the first one was a+b. Notice that the order doesn't really matter. Reversing the order of which vectors you called a and b does nothing to a+b and only reverses the direction of a-b, which just "puts the arrowhead on the other end of the diagonal".

To sum up, our vectors were <0,4> and <4,0>, so the diagonals of the parallelogram they define are <4,4> *and* <-4,4> or <4,-4>. There is absolutely nothing special about this method that limits it to the square we were given; it applies to any vector-defined parallelogram.

Last edited:
dynamicsolo said:
Well, the second one you came up with is, and the first one was a+b. Notice that the order doesn't really matter. Reversing the order of which vectors you called a and b does nothing to a+b and only reverses the direction of a-b, which just "puts the arrowhead on the other end of the diagonal".

To sum up, our vectors were <0,4> and <4,0>, so the diagonals of the parallelogram they define are <4,4> *and* <-4,4> or <4,-4>. There is absolutely nothing special about this method that limits it to the square we were given; it applies to any vector-defined parallelogram.

yah, it makes sense. I got the problem done, thanks for the help!

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is often represented by an arrow in a specific direction and length.

2. What is a parallelogram?

A parallelogram is a four-sided shape with two pairs of parallel sides. The opposite sides of a parallelogram are equal in length and the opposite angles are equal in measure.

3. How are vectors related to the diagonals of a parallelogram?

The diagonals of a parallelogram are formed by the intersection of two vectors, with each diagonal being the sum of two adjacent vectors. This means that the two diagonals of a parallelogram are also vectors.

4. How can the vectors that constitute the diagonals of a parallelogram be calculated?

The vectors that constitute the diagonals of a parallelogram can be calculated by finding the sum of two adjacent vectors in the parallelogram. This can be done using the parallelogram law of vector addition or by using the components of the vectors.

5. What is the significance of the diagonals of a parallelogram in vector calculations?

The diagonals of a parallelogram can be used to find the magnitude and direction of a resulting vector when two vectors are added together. They can also be used to find the components of a vector when given its magnitude and direction.