What is the Purpose of rundll32.exe and rundll.exe Commands on Windows?

In summary, DLL files are "Dynamic Linked Library" files that contain helper programs used by other programs and can also be used for hardware drivers. They are not intended for users to open or run, and it is not recommended to delete them unless you know exactly what they do. The rundll.exe and rundll32.exe commands under Windows allow you to call functions from DLL files.
jill40
I've been seeing this certain file extension lately on my computer, but I do not know what programs to run them. What are file extension dll?

Computer science news on Phys.org
DLL is most commonly a "Dynamic Linked Library". DLL files are not intended for users to open/run. They contain "helper programs" that are used by other programs.

Here is a helpful source for future reference : http://www.file-extensions.org/dll-file-extension

Never delete them...They also are used for hardware drivers on your computer too.

Let's just cut through it, they're modules (code) used in software. Don't delete them unless you know exactly what they do (chances are you don't in 99.99% of cases).

there is a command under Windows called rundll.exe and rundll32.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/164787

that allow you to call functions from a DLL that are explicitly written to be called by them.

FAQ: What is the Purpose of rundll32.exe and rundll.exe Commands on Windows?

1. What is a file extension DLL?

A file extension DLL, or Dynamic Link Library, is a type of file format used in the Windows operating system. It contains code and resources that can be shared and accessed by multiple programs at the same time.

2. How is a file extension DLL different from other file formats?

Unlike other file formats, a DLL file cannot be executed directly by the user. It is designed to be used by other programs as a shared library of functions and resources. It can also be updated or replaced without affecting the programs that use it.

3. What programs use file extension DLL?

A wide variety of programs use DLL files, including operating systems, device drivers, and applications. They are commonly used to help programs run more efficiently and to reduce the size of executable files.

4. Can I open or edit a file extension DLL?

No, DLL files are not meant to be opened or edited by users. They are meant to be used by other programs as a resource. Attempting to open or edit a DLL file can cause errors or even damage the file.

5. Are file extension DLL files safe?

DLL files themselves are not inherently harmful or safe. However, like any other file format, they can be used for malicious purposes. It is important to only use DLL files from trusted sources and to keep them updated to ensure the security of your system.

Back