Discovering the True Speed of Light: A Question on Its Absolute Nature

In summary, the speed of light is absolute and does not change even if the source is moving. To measure its true value, it is not necessary to know what stationary is, as the speed of light remains the same regardless of the reference frame. This is a concept of relativity and has been discussed in various forums.
thenewsguys
Just a random question regarding the speed of light. I am not a physics major or a college student, just curious.

I was watching a program on the science channel (I think) and it was talking about how the speed of light is absolute. The example it gave was traveling in a car at a high rate of speed then turning on a flash light facing in the same direction as the car. So if the car was going 100 mph it wouldn't add on to the speed of "C", since it is absolute.

So, my question is since the Earth is moving in our solar system and our sun is moving in our galaxy and our galaxy is moving in space, how can we know the true value of "C" if we don't know what stationary is? Does this make sense? I might be looking at this the wrong way but I figure someone here might know.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not 100% sure on this but imagine the whole universe as a giant car. Everything in it seems stationary to someone inside the car. Similar to that, the only way to answer your question is to view our universe from another universe.

IDK, just a guess, I might be wrong. xD

Statonary is whatever reference frame from which you measure the speed of light. The speed of light is invariant irrespective of the reference frame.

thenewsguys said:
how can we know the true value of "C" if we don't know what stationary is?
Terms like stationary can only be applied to objects in reference to other objects. For example the chair I am sitting on is stationary relative to me but not to a car driving by my house.

thenewsguys said:
Just a random question regarding the speed of light. I am not a physics major or a college student, just curious.

I was watching a program on the science channel (I think) and it was talking about how the speed of light is absolute. The example it gave was traveling in a car at a high rate of speed then turning on a flash light facing in the same direction as the car. So if the car was going 100 mph it wouldn't add on to the speed of "C", since it is absolute.

So, my question is since the Earth is moving in our solar system and our sun is moving in our galaxy and our galaxy is moving in space, how can we know the true value of "C" if we don't know what stationary is? Does this make sense? I might be looking at this the wrong way but I figure someone here might know.

Thanks.
Hi, welcome to physicsforums. :smile:

It's really a "relativity" question. According to that theory the "locally" measured speed of light is always c, if it is measured with a standard reference system. Indirectly, your question was recently discussed here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=641102

Does that help?

thenewsguys said:
... how can we know the true value of "C" if we don't know what stationary is?

You don't need to know what stationary is. Imagine you're standing on the Earth and you measure the speed of light. Shoot a light beam one way, the opposite way, every which way, and you will measure the same speed of light. THEN, accelerate in some direction and while moving, do the same experiment. Shoot the light forward, back, up, down...you'll get the same result. The speed of light is the same.

That's enough to tell you that no matter what you do, the speed of light is the same.

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. This is considered to be a universal constant in physics and denoted by the letter "c".

How was the speed of light first measured?

The speed of light was first measured by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in 1676. He observed the timing of the eclipses of Jupiter's moons and noticed that the timing varied depending on the distance between Earth and Jupiter. This allowed him to calculate the speed of light to be about 220,000 kilometers per second.

Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and therefore requires more and more energy to accelerate. This makes it impossible for anything with mass to reach or exceed the speed of light.

What are some applications of the speed of light?

The speed of light has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in GPS systems, fiber optic communications, and medical imaging techniques like MRI and CT scans. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and helps us measure vast distances in space.

Has the speed of light always been constant?

Yes, the speed of light has been observed to be constant throughout history. However, our understanding of the speed of light has evolved over time, with the most significant advancements being made by scientists like Galileo, Maxwell, and Einstein. Today, we use the speed of light as a fundamental constant in many scientific calculations and experiments.