Question about a property of pdfs

• Thread starter Obie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Property
Thanks for the explanation and the proof outline. I appreciate your help!In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two pdfs with the same support and their respective expected values. The first question asks if the integral over the common support of (f2(x)^2)/f1(x) is larger than one if E[X1]<E[X2]. The answer is yes, and this is proved by setting up a constrained optimization problem for one of the pdfs. The second question asks if this is still true if the property of first order dominance is added, and the answer is also yes.
Obie
I've encountered this question in some theoretical work I've been doing. Suppose you have two pdfs fH(x) and fL(x) with the same support (bounded or infinite... you can assume whatever you want about it).

Suppose that the expected value of a random variable with pdf fL(x) is greater than the expected value of a random variable with pdf fH(x).

Is it true that the integral over the common support INT{ (fH(x)^2)/fL(x) } dx is larger than one? Is it true if the CDF FH(x)<=FL(X)?

I've checked family of distributions x^a, exponential, Normal, binomial and the claim is true in these classes, but I don't know if its true in general...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Obie said:
I've encountered this question in some theoretical work I've been doing. Suppose you have two pdfs fH(x) and fL(x) with the same support (bounded or infinite... you can assume whatever you want about it).

Suppose that the expected value of a random variable with pdf fL(x) is greater than the expected value of a random variable with pdf fH(x).

Is it true if the CDF FH(x)<=FL(X)?
You mean for all x right? In that case the answer is definitely no. I had no problems finding simple counter examples for this. (Can post one later if you wish, they're very easy to find).
Is it true that the integral over the common support INT{ (fH(x)^2)/fL(x) } dx is larger than one?
I pretty sure that the answer is yes, but be careful as this may not mean exactly what you're expecting it means. Note however that I also think that INT{ (fL(x)^2)/fH(x) } dx is larger than one as well! In fact I believe that for any given density function f1, that the density function f2 which minimizes the integral of f2(x)^2/f1(x) dx is f2 = f1. That means that for any two density functions that are not identical then your integral will be greater than unity, regardless of which one you put on the numerator and which one on the denominator.

Last edited:
Obie said:
Is it true if the CDF FH(x)<=FL(X)?

Hang on, are you actually asking if that inequality is true for the CDF evaluated at the mean or are you asking if it's true for all x as I assumed above?

Did you really mean to ask if the following is true.

[tex]F_H(\overline{x}_H) \leq F_L(\overline{x}_L)[/tex]

Is that what you're asking?

Last edited:
Obie said:

Also did you mean that the other way around? As in "the expected value of a random variable with pdf fL(x) is less than the expected value of a random variable with pdf fH(x)".

Hi Uart.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I apologize for the confusing phrasing of the question. Please allow me to rephrase the question in a more precse way.

Consider two Random Variables X1, X2, with the same support, for which E[X1]<E[X2]. Let the CDF of X1 be F1 and the cdf of X2 be F2, with pdfs f1, f2. Notice that if, F2(x)<=F1(x) for all x in the support, this is a sufficient, but not necessary condition for E[X1]<E[X2]. This is the property called first order stochastic dominance.

Question 1)

does E[X1]<E[X2] imply that the integral over the support of (f2(x)^2)/f1(x) is greater than 1?

It seems your answer is that the claim is true regrdless of the relationship between the expected values. This would be great. I would appreciate any further explanation. Did you set the problem up as a constrained optimization for one of the pdfs?

Question 2)
If the answer to question1) is no, then would the addition of the property of first order dominance make it true. That is, is it tru that if F2(x)<=F1(x) for all x in the support, (implies E[X1]<E[X2]) that the intgral of the previous ratio is larger than one.

Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated.

Ok, here's a brief "outline proof" of that first conjecture.

Let f2 be the equal to f1 plus a perturbating function n(x),

[tex]f_2(x) = f_1(x) + n(x)[/tex]

Integrating both sides shows that the integral of the perturbing function, [itex]n(x)[/itex], must be zero ( since [itex]\int f_1 = 1[/itex] and [itex]\int f_2 = 1[/itex] ).

Substituting f2 = (f1 + n) into your integral gives,

[tex] \int \frac{f_2^2}{f_1} = \int f_2 + 2 \int n + \int \frac{n^2}{f_1}[/tex]

= 1 + 0 + integral of non-negative function.

Therefore [tex] \int \frac{f_2^2}{f_1} \geq 1[/tex]

Last edited:
BTW. Note that for finite functions that n must be non-zero at more than a finite number of points in order to make the two means differ. It follows therefore that the last part of the above integral (the part I referred to as "integral of nonnegative function") is strictly positive. In this case we can make the stronger statement that if the two means are different then,

[tex] \int \frac{f_2^2}{f_1} > 1[/tex]

Thamks so much. I guess I thought it was going to be more complicated than it actually is!

Related to Question about a property of pdfs

1. What is a PDF?

A PDF (Portable Document Format) is a file format used to represent documents in a manner independent of application software, hardware, and operating systems. It is commonly used for electronic documents such as ebooks, forms, and manuals.

2. How is a PDF different from other document formats?

A PDF is different from other document formats in that it is a fixed-layout format, meaning it preserves the layout, fonts, and formatting of a document regardless of the device or software used to view it. It also supports interactive features such as hyperlinks and form fields.

3. Can I edit a PDF file?

Yes, PDF files can be edited using various software programs such as Adobe Acrobat, Foxit PhantomPDF, and Nitro Pro. However, not all PDF files are editable, as some may have security settings that prevent editing.

4. How are PDFs used in scientific research?

PDFs are commonly used in scientific research for publishing and sharing research papers, reports, and presentations. They are also used for creating and distributing digital versions of lab notebooks, data sheets, and other scientific documents.

5. Are there any limitations to using PDFs in research?

While PDFs are a popular format for scientific research, there are some limitations to consider. One limitation is that PDFs may not be easily accessible for individuals with visual or other disabilities. Additionally, PDFs do not allow for dynamic data visualization and manipulation, which may be necessary for certain types of research.