Real World Application: Intersection Signal Sensors

In summary, this person is looking for a solution to an issue where the signals at intersections don't change when a car arrives. They've heard of motorcyclists who have the same problem, and are considering a magnet as a solution. They're also considering other possible solutions, such as getting off the bike and pressing the pedestrian cross walk button.
darkfall13
Hey everyone!

I recently picked up a motorcycle for class/work commutes because walking home at 11pm from the lab is not fun. But I have come across something of interest.

Some intersections keep a green light on the main street and red on cross streets until a car pulls up. Before observing that I had sat at intersections forever, finally opting to "right on red" around until I got heading in the right direction again.

So clearly something senses a vehicles presence at the intersection, I ruled out weight sensors because that seems too easy to "fool" (ie have a mob of people stand on the spot and could get the light to change maybe). So I'm going to guess something such as how metal detectors work with detecting magnetic fields, which does make sense, a car does have a lot of iron on it. But what would you think the detecting threshold of something like this be? Or in other words, if I bought a couple rare-earth magnets and put them on the bottom of the motorcycle would this create enough signal to trigger the stop lights?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wondered this question too. I always thought they were pressure sensors but you're right that they detect for a change in magnetic field:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question234.htm

I've heard of motorcyclists who have the same problem as you (where the signals don't change) and am interested in your rare-earth magnet solution. I think the size of the inductors under the road are fairly large (in comparison to a bike), so I don't know if those magnets would sustain a big enough change.

They are generally induction sensors so any lump of metal will do.
It's a problem for a cycle - you can sometimes trigger them by aligning the bike exactly over the edge of the sensor.
The other solution is to get off and press the pedestrian cross walk button.

mgb_phys said:
They are generally induction sensors so any lump of metal will do.
It's a problem for a cycle - you can sometimes trigger them by aligning the bike exactly over the edge of the sensor.
The other solution is to get off and press the pedestrian cross walk button.

I had thought about that too but my friend recently got a ticket for "abandonment" for doing so, he's trying to fight it right now. I think I'll go ahead with the magnet idea, if it doesn't work I can always use them for other things.

darkfall13 said:
I had thought about that too but my friend recently got a ticket for "abandonment" for doing so, he's trying to fight it right now. I think I'll go ahead with the magnet idea, if it doesn't work I can always use them for other things.
A magnet has too short a range to be any more helpful than any other metal.

I think they are magnetic devices, or something close to that. In my experience, my motorcycle is insufficient to activate some of the mechanisms. I am not sure what a cop would tell me if (s)he caught me proceeding illegally through an intersection; not likely since there aren't any cars around when I go through...

1. How do intersection signal sensors work?

Intersection signal sensors use various technologies such as cameras, inductive loops, or radar to detect the presence and movement of vehicles, bicycles, or pedestrians at an intersection. These sensors send signals to a traffic controller, which then adjusts the traffic signal timing accordingly.

2. How do intersection signal sensors improve traffic flow?

Intersection signal sensors allow for real-time detection of traffic patterns and adjust signal timing accordingly. This helps to reduce delays and congestion, leading to improved traffic flow and reduced travel time for drivers.

3. Can intersection signal sensors be used for pedestrian safety?

Yes, intersection signal sensors can be used to improve pedestrian safety by detecting and prioritizing pedestrian movement at an intersection. This can be done by extending the walk signal timing or providing exclusive pedestrian crossing phases.

4. How do weather conditions affect the performance of intersection signal sensors?

Weather conditions such as heavy rain, snow, or fog can affect the performance of intersection signal sensors. For example, inductive loop sensors may have reduced sensitivity during heavy rain, while cameras may have reduced visibility during foggy conditions. Proper maintenance and calibration of these sensors can help minimize the impact of weather on their performance.

5. How are intersection signal sensors integrated with other transportation systems?

Intersection signal sensors can be integrated with other transportation systems such as transit signal priority, adaptive traffic signal systems, or connected and autonomous vehicle technology. This integration allows for more efficient and coordinated movement of different modes of transportation, leading to improved safety and mobility for all road users.