Why was I banned forever for creating a sock puppet?

• Thread starter AnotherChance
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker was banned from a forum for "posting noise" and created a sock puppet to continue participating. They acknowledge their wrongdoing but express a desire to improve and return to the forum, however, they have already been banned permanently due to previous violations and repeated warnings. The speaker now regrets their actions and wishes to start over, but the admins are not willing to allow them to return.
AnotherChance
So, I got banned for "posting noise". But I really wanted to reply to a thread so I created a "sock puppet", as admins like to call alternative accounts.

I know I wasn't right but I really like this forum and want to improve. Right now I am banned forever. That doesn't make much sense, tbh. Why would I need to be forever away from any place?

I wish I could start over, with my first suspension of a month. Let's just pretend nothing happened, please? :/

Physics news on Phys.org
This is your 4th sockpuppet. You had a list of rules violations. You will not be allowed to return.

You didn't heed any of our warnings. Now that you realize that it has affected your ability to post, you want to bargain with us?

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. Why was I banned for creating a sock puppet?

Creating a sock puppet account is a violation of most online communities' terms of service. This type of account is typically used to deceive or manipulate other users, which can disrupt the community and create an unfair advantage. As a result, creating a sock puppet can result in a permanent ban from the platform.

2. Can I be banned for creating a sock puppet even if I didn't intend to deceive anyone?

Yes, creating a sock puppet account can result in a ban even if you did not have malicious intent. The act of creating a fake account is still a violation of the platform's terms of service, regardless of the intention behind it.

3. Is it possible to get unbanned after creating a sock puppet?

It is possible to appeal a ban for creating a sock puppet, but it is ultimately up to the discretion of the platform's moderators. If you can provide a valid reason for creating the account and show that you understand the violation and will not repeat it, your ban may be lifted.

4. Can I create a new account after being banned for creating a sock puppet?

Creating a new account after being banned for creating a sock puppet is considered ban evasion and is typically not allowed by online communities. This can result in a permanent ban from the platform.

5. Why do platforms take creating a sock puppet so seriously?

Creating a sock puppet account undermines the integrity of the online community and can create a negative experience for other users. It can also be used to manipulate discussions, inflate popularity, and disrupt the natural flow of the platform. As a result, platforms take this violation seriously to maintain a fair and trustworthy environment for all users.