Exploring the Mysteries of a Black Hole

In summary, black holes are created when a planetary mass has its atoms completely cave in on its self. This creates a massive amount of gravity, one so massive that it even attracts photons (light). So does this mean that a black hole isn't black but completely lacking any color at all? I think so.

This is my first post, How do you think I did?

• Good job, keep expanding your content.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pretty good, but the topic is lacking.

• Lacking but ok for a nubie.

• Meh, Work on it. (Please leave a suggestion)

• Kill your post and your self, (Really bad)

• Total voters
JimmySersland
(Correct me if you think I'm wrong in anyway, I am open to new ideas.) A black hole is created when a planetary mass has its atoms completely cave in on its self. This creates a massive amount of gravity, one so massive that it even attracts photons (light). So does this mean that a black hole isn't black but completely lacking any color at all? I think so. Here's something that I think is cool to think about (your thoughts requested no matter ;) how ridicules), If a black hole begun to suck a sun into is gradational pull
A. Would the pull of the sun pull the black hole any distance?
B. The sun being sucked in, collapsing the atoms(?), would increase the size of the hole(?)
C. What if we, our own solar system, is a black hole and our own physics are much different then the outside of our "realm".
D. Referring to C. Would that mean that the matter in a black hole could also be 99.99% free space?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You specify a "planetary mass" forming a black hole. You may check the Wikipedia entry at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole

to find the common classification of black holes according to their mass.

“Black holes are commonly classified according to their mass, independent of angular momentum J or electric charge Q. The size of a black hole, as determined by the radius of the event horizon, or Schwarzschild radius, is roughly proportional to the mass..."

Several other questions you asked about are also addressed in the Wiki entry.

A. Gravitational attraction between two masses follows a simple relationship, always the same whether masses of black holes or any other kind of mass.

B. A black hole's size is measured by it's "event horizon". Adding mass increases it.

C. "What if we, our own solar system, is a black hole"? is a question that does not make any sense. Can you revise or rephrase it while keeping real black hole physics in mind?

D. Same as above.

Last edited:
Welcome to PF;
JimmySersland said:
(Correct me if you think I'm wrong in anyway, I am open to new ideas.) A black hole is created when a planetary mass has its atoms completely cave in on its self.
No - it takes much more than a planetary mass.

This creates a massive amount of gravity, one so massive that it even attracts photons (light).
No - the gravity is exactly the same as when the matter was not collapsed.
It's just that the volume is very small, and gravity increases as you get closer to the surface.

So does this mean that a black hole isn't black but completely lacking any color at all?
The concept of color is tricky to apply to such objects. What you usually think of as the color of a surface is due to the light scattering from the surface interacting with your visual system. Since light does not escape the event horizon, then there is no color from there.

I think so.
Advancing personal theories is frowned upon here. Do you have any references to back up your thinking?

Here's something that I think is cool to think about (your thoughts requested no matter ;) how ridicules), If a black hole begun to suck a sun into is gradational pull
A. Would the pull of the sun pull the black hole any distance?
Gravity is a long-range force.
When you say Sun" think "star".

B. The sun being sucked in, collapsing the atoms(?), would increase the size of the hole(?)
The event horizon of the black hole would increase.

C. What if we, our own solar system, is a black hole and our own physics are much different then the outside of our "realm".
Then the "solar system" includes stars and galaxies and... well... the Rest Of The Universe. So it is the same as asking about "what if the physics outside the Universe is different".

1. Baseless speculation is frowned upon here.
2. It doesn't matter - we can only know about this Universe.
3. The possibility that our Universe is inside a black hole has been explored.

D. Referring to C. Would that mean that the matter in a black hole could also be 99.99% free space?
That is a meaningless question.

I think you need to study more about black holes.
Starting from the quickie basics:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/b...0/ten-things-you-dont-know-about-black-holes/

... to the more advanced geometry:
http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm

... you'll probably want the stuff in between ;)
What you don't want to do is draw conclusions from pop-science TV shows.
CHeers.

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses in on itself.

2. How big can a black hole be?

Black holes can range in size from a few miles to billions of times the mass of our sun. The size of a black hole depends on how much matter it has consumed and its age.

3. What happens if you get too close to a black hole?

If you were to get close enough to a black hole, the gravitational force would be so strong that it would pull you in and you would be unable to escape. This is known as the event horizon.

4. Can we see a black hole?

No, we cannot see a black hole directly as it does not emit any light. However, we can observe its effects on surrounding matter, such as the distortion of light and the release of radiation from the accretion disk.

5. What is inside a black hole?

It is currently unknown what exists inside a black hole as the laws of physics as we know them break down at the singularity. Some theories suggest that it may lead to another universe or a parallel dimension.