Finding A for B Using Gradient and Curl

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the vector field A given the field B, where B is equal to the curl of A. The participants suggest using different mathematical approaches such as using the Poisson equation, Helmholtz's Theorem, and considering boundary conditions to determine A. The conversation also mentions the presence of a constant of integration, phi, and the need to perform an integration and curl operation to find A.
Zhivago
Hello everyone!

Having a field [tex] \bf B = \nabla \times \bf A [/tex] , how is it possible to get [tex] \bf A [/tex] ?
For constant fields, the answer is easy, but is there a general approach to find A ?
Some algorithm to do it numerically would help me immensly, too.
If anyone knows some book or reference that could help me, I'd be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
In usual classroom cases, there is ussually only one component for the field, making it an ordinary differential equation. Antoher choice is to use [tex]\int_{S}BdS=\int_{\partial S}Adl[/tex], and exploit possible symmetries of the fields. In the most general case, you might use the fact that [tex]\nabla \times B=\mu_{0}j[/tex], and assuming the gauge condition [tex]\nabla \cdot A=0[/tex], you have to solve the Poisson equation: [tex]\nabla^{2}A=-\mu_{0}j[/tex]

Thanks for your answer

In my case, J is not known (actually it's one of the things I will want to find). B is not uniform , but for a first approximation I would want to find B(x,y,z) = (0 , 0 , B0 + k*z) , B0 >> k It's a constant magnetic field with a small gradient on the top of it.

k is only some small constant.
or something like B = (k*x, 0, B0)

Be careful. The form of B that you are looking for doesn't seem to satisfy div B = 0 anywhere, so it isn't a legit magnetic field.

The general way to approach this is with Helmholtz's Theorem. IT is a purely mathematical result that is often invoked in EM. For a bounded region it states that for an arbitrary vector field,

[tex]
\bf P(r)= \nabla \left[ \int_V \frac{-\nabla \prime \cdot P(r\prime)\, dV\prime}{4 \pi |r-r\prime|} + \int_S \frac{P(r\prime)\cdot dS\prime}{4 \pi |r-r\prime|}\right]
+ \nabla \times \left[ \int_V \frac{\nabla \prime \times P(r\prime)\, dV\prime}{4 \pi |r-r\prime|} + \int_S \frac{P(r\prime) \times dS\prime}{4 \pi |r-r\prime|}\right]
[/tex]

where the surface integrals are over closed surfaces. So you need to specify the divergence and the curl and the boundary conditions in order to uniquely determine a vector field. For magnetic fields, div B = 0 always, which simplifies things a bit. If your boundary conditions are also zero, then you basically just need to perform an integration and curl operation.

jason

Thanks a lot Jason!
I just wrote some B field that somehow resembled what i wanted, didn't even check its divergence.
I'll try to figure it out now

Zhivago said:
Hello everyone!

Having a field [tex] \bf B = \nabla \times \bf A [/tex] , how is it possible to get [tex] \bf A [/tex] ?

You should be aware that there is a constant of integration, phi. Phi is a vector.

[tex]A \leftarrow A' = A + \phi[/tex]

I think you should find that the best approach is to write out the definition of the cross product of A, in terms of the parital derivatives with respect to your coordinates, and then integrate.

Last edited:

What is "Finding A for B Using Gradient and Curl"?

"Finding A for B Using Gradient and Curl" is a mathematical process for determining the potential field A given the vector field B. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

What is the difference between gradient and curl?

The gradient is a mathematical operation that describes the rate of change of a scalar field. It is represented by a vector and points in the direction of the steepest increase of the field. The curl, on the other hand, describes the rotation or circulation of a vector field. It is also represented by a vector, but its direction is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

How is "Finding A for B Using Gradient and Curl" used in real-world applications?

This process is used in many real-world applications, including analyzing the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, fluid dynamics, and analyzing the stress and strain in materials. It is also commonly used in computer graphics to simulate realistic lighting and shading effects.

What are the equations for gradient and curl?

The equation for gradient is ∇f = (∂f/∂x, ∂f/∂y, ∂f/∂z), where f is the scalar field and ∇ is the gradient operator. The equation for curl is ∇ x F = (∂Fz/∂y − ∂Fy/∂z, ∂Fx/∂z − ∂Fz/∂x, ∂Fy/∂x − ∂Fx/∂y), where F is the vector field and ∇ x is the curl operator.

What are some common techniques for solving "Finding A for B Using Gradient and Curl"?

There are several techniques for solving this problem, including using line integrals, the gradient theorem, and Green's theorem. These methods involve using the properties of the gradient and curl operators, as well as vector calculus techniques, to solve for the potential field A.