Can the constant term of a power series be zero?

In summary, there is a discussion about the constant term of a power series and its relation to solving linear differential equations using the Frobenius method. The constant term is important in this method and cannot be equal to zero, as it would change the mathematical technique used to solve the ODE. However, there is some confusion about the definition of the constant term in this context.
gikiian
In the context of my work (linear differential equations), it can not be zero. But why?

Physics news on Phys.org
gikiian said:
In the context of my work (linear differential equations), it can not be zero. But why?

It's not clear why your context implies that the constant term cannot equal zero. If the constant term were zero, would the series not satisfy the differential equation and any associated initial conditions?

y'' + y = 0, y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1.

I get it! It will satisfy the equation, but the solution will be a trivial one.

There is only one solution for the initial value problem I wrote in post #3, and it is not the trivial solution.

gikiian said:
What about, say, a function ##f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}, x\mapsto x##?

gikiian said:
Can the constant term of a power series be zero?
Yes. Take [itex]xe^{x}[/itex] for example:
[itex]xe^{x}[/itex]
[itex]=x(1+x+\frac{x^{2}}{2!}+\frac{x^{3}}{3!}+\frac{x^{4}}{4!}+...)[/itex]
[itex]=x+x^{2}+\frac{x^{3}}{2!}+\frac{x^{4}}{3!}+\frac{x^{5}}{4!}+...[/itex]
[itex]=0+x+x^{2}+\frac{x^{3}}{2!}+\frac{x^{4}}{3!}+\frac{x^{5}}{4!}+...[/itex]

gikiian said:
In Frobenius method, you have [itex]y=\sum^{∞}_{n=0} a_{n}x^{n+r}=x^{r}(a_{o}+a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+...)[/itex]. Now if [itex]a_{o}[/itex] becomes 0, then the series would become [itex]y=x^{r}(0+a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+...)=x^{r}(a_{1}x+a_{2}x^{2}+...)=x^{r}x(a_{1}+a_{2}x+a_{3}x^{2}+...)=x^{r+1}(a_{1}+a_{2}x+a_{3}x^{2}+...)[/itex]. This would essentially change the mathematical technique that we use here to solve the ODE. Hence we 'assume' that [itex]a_{o}[/itex] can not be 0.

Last edited:
OK, now we can see this is a question about semantics, not series solutions of differential equations.

"The constant term of a power series" means ##c_0## in the series ##c_0 + c_1x + c_2x^2 + \dots##.

But in post #7, you are just saying that every non-trivial series must have first non-zero term, and you are calling that term ##a_0##. it is the coefficient of ##x^r##. It is not the constant term of the series solution unless ##r = 0##.

AlephZero said:
OK, now we can see this is a question about semantics, not series solutions of differential equations.

"The constant term of a power series" means ##c_0## in the series ##c_0 + c_1x + c_2x^2 + \dots##.

But in post #7, you are just saying that every non-trivial series must have first non-zero term, and you are calling that term ##a_0##. it is the coefficient of ##x^r##. It is not the constant term of the series solution unless ##r = 0##.

I am a little confused as to what you are saying here, and would like to understand your point better. Please explain what are you trying to convey.

1. Is it possible for the constant term of a power series to be zero?

Yes, it is possible for the constant term of a power series to be zero. This means that the series will have a leading term with a non-zero coefficient and all subsequent terms will have a coefficient of zero.

2. What does a constant term of zero represent in a power series?

A constant term of zero in a power series indicates that the function represented by the series has a non-zero value at the point where x = 0. This can also be interpreted as the function having a non-zero y-intercept.

3. Can a power series have a constant term of zero for all values of x?

Yes, it is possible for a power series to have a constant term of zero for all values of x. This means that the function represented by the series will always have a value of zero, regardless of the input.

4. How can you determine if the constant term of a power series is zero?

To determine if the constant term of a power series is zero, you can look at the coefficient of the term with the lowest degree. If this coefficient is zero, then the constant term will also be zero. Alternatively, you can evaluate the function at x = 0 and see if it equals zero.

5. What is the significance of the constant term in a power series?

The constant term in a power series is significant because it represents the value of the function at the point where x = 0. This value can provide important information about the behavior of the function and can also be used to determine the y-intercept of the function's graph.