Inverse Fourier Transform of Inverse Square Root Function

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the inverse Fourier transform of a given expression and the use of different normalization factors. The resulting formula is expressed in terms of the known Fourier transform of e^{-|x|} and involves the use of arbitrary constants.
liorda

Homework Statement

calculate the inverse Fourier transform of [tex]\left( a^2 + \left( bk \right)^2 \right)^{-1}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]FT[e^{-|x|)}](k) = ( \pi (k^2 + 1 ) )^{-1}[/tex]. I've tried to to concatenate the shift FT or the strech FT, but the "+1" in the known FT is in the way.

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't quite read what you're writing here. The FT you've quoted is supposed to be [tex]F[e^{-\alpha|x|}] = \frac{2\alpha}{\alpha^2+ \omega^2}[/tex], correct?

Are a and b supposed to be arbitrary constants? If so, then I take [itex]k=\omega[/itex]. You must then express the question in terms of the result above.

Note that [tex]\frac{1}{a^2 + b^2 \omega^2} = \frac{1}{b^2} \ \frac{1}{\frac{a^2}{b^2} + \omega^2}[/tex].

A factor of 2 is still required. Can you see it now?

thanks for answering. You helped me "getting it" :)

I think our normalization factors are different. I know that [tex]F[e^{-|x|}]=\frac{1}{\pi (\omega^2 +1)}[/tex], so if a,b>0 (i assume it, since it's the only way to get to the following result) i can write [tex]F[e^{-\frac{a}{b} |x|}]=\frac{b}{a} \hat{f}(\frac{\omega b}{a}) = \frac{a b e^{i \omega \frac{b}{a}}{\pi (\omega^2 b^2 + a^2)}[/tex]

i'm using [tex]F[f(x)]=\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) e^{-i\omega x} dx[/tex]

thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is an inverse Fourier transform?

An inverse Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that takes a complex-valued signal in the frequency domain and converts it back to a time-domain signal. It essentially reverses the process of a Fourier transform, which decomposes a signal into its individual frequency components.

2. How is an inverse Fourier transform calculated?

The inverse Fourier transform is calculated using the same formula as the Fourier transform, but with the sign of the exponent reversed. This formula is also known as the Inverse Fourier Transform Formula. It involves integrating the complex signal over all frequencies to reconstruct the original time-domain signal.

3. What is the relationship between the Fourier transform and the inverse Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform and the inverse Fourier transform are inverse operations of each other. This means that performing a Fourier transform on a time-domain signal and then an inverse Fourier transform on the resulting frequency-domain signal will return the original time-domain signal. They are essentially two sides of the same mathematical coin.

4. What are the uses of an inverse Fourier transform?

The inverse Fourier transform is used in a wide range of applications, including signal processing, image processing, and data compression. It allows us to analyze and manipulate signals in the frequency domain, which can provide valuable insights and make certain calculations easier. It is also a key tool in solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of systems in the time domain.

5. Are there any limitations to using an inverse Fourier transform?

One limitation of using an inverse Fourier transform is that it assumes the signal is periodic and infinite. In reality, most signals are not perfectly periodic and have a finite length, which can lead to errors in the reconstruction process. Additionally, the inverse Fourier transform may not be suitable for some signals with complex or non-linear behavior, as it relies on a linear decomposition of the signal into its frequency components.