Correcting Voltage Drop by Adding Resistor L Pad

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of powering an LED with a source of 800 Kilo Ohms. It is noted that when connecting the LED to the source, the voltage drops significantly and this is due to impedance mismatching. A solution is proposed to use a resistor L pad to minimize the voltage drop and a specific circuit is suggested for this purpose. The conversation also delves into the topic of using a transistor to control the LED, but the specific context and voltage specifications are needed for a more accurate solution.
Idea04
I have a source of 800 Kilo Ohms and I want to power an LED with that source. Which I would presume the LED would have a resistance of 9.5 to 10 Ohms if I'm correct. When I connect the LED to the source the voltage drops from 12 volts DC to around 1 volts DC. If my thinking is correct the reason this is happening is because of the impedance mismatching in which a high impedance source is driving a low impedance load and the voltage drops to a much lower value.

To correct this I want to put a resistor L pad between the source and load to hopefully minimize the voltage drop. The value of resistor I calculated being would be 800 Kilo Ohms resistor in series with the source and a 10 ohms resistor in parallel with the load.

Is this correct? And if not where am I wrong.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can't say that a diode has fixed "resistance" because it doesn't follow Ohm's Law. The voltage/current relationship is very non-linear. With an LED, you would normally assume that it has a more or less constant voltage across it and you would pass a current through it which would be defined, usually, by a supply voltage in series with a resistance.

Your "800kΩ" source needs to have an emf (voltage) specified before you can say what current will pass through the diode.
Tell us the specific context of this with a circuit diagram, if possible, and we can probably help you.
As it stands, your question can't be answered except to say that a 12V source with 800kΩ in series will only pass 12/800e3 Amps, or 15microamps. That will not light an LED!

This is how you normally set up a LED to work from a battery:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/LED%20circuit.PNG

You can see that the value of R is not given, but you can calculate it.

It has 10 volts across it and it has 20 mA flowing in it.
So, its resistance must be 10 volts / 0.020 Amps or 500 ohms.

If you really have to light a LED from a 12 Volt source with 800 K series resistance, you can use a circuit like this:

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/LED%20circuit%20with%20transistor.PNG

By adding a high gain transistor and a power source for the LED, you can use the transistor to control the LED.
You might just get enough current to light a high efficiency LED.

There will be about 15 µA of base current in the transistor. If it had a gain of 300 the collector current would be 4.5 mA. This would be visible on some LEDs.

Last edited by a moderator:
sophiecentaur said:
Your "800kΩ" source needs to have an emf (voltage) specified before you can say what current will pass through the diode.
Tell us the specific context of this with a circuit diagram, if possible, and we can probably help you.
As it stands, your question can't be answered except to say that a 12V source with 800kΩ in series will only pass 12/800e3 Amps, or 15microamps. That will not light an LED!
Depending on what he measured it with, his meter might not have enough input resistance to accurately measure a voltage source with 800kΩ of Thevinin resistance.

1. What is an L Pad and why is it used to correct voltage drop?

An L Pad is a type of electrical circuit that is used to adjust the output voltage of a source by adding a resistor in series with the load. It is commonly used to correct voltage drop in audio circuits where the output voltage of the source is too high for the load.

2. How does an L Pad work to correct voltage drop?

An L Pad works by dividing the voltage drop across the resistors in the circuit. The series resistor reduces the voltage, while the parallel resistor allows the remaining voltage to pass through to the load. By adjusting the values of these resistors, the output voltage can be corrected to the desired level.

3. When should I use an L Pad to correct voltage drop?

An L Pad should be used when the output voltage of the source is too high for the load, resulting in a voltage drop that can affect the performance of the circuit. This is commonly seen in audio circuits, where a high output voltage can cause distortion or damage to the speakers.

4. What are the benefits of using an L Pad to correct voltage drop?

Using an L Pad to correct voltage drop allows for a more precise adjustment of the output voltage, as opposed to simply using a voltage divider circuit. It also helps to prevent excess voltage from reaching the load, which can cause damage or affect the performance of the circuit.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using an L Pad to correct voltage drop?

One potential drawback of using an L Pad is that it can introduce additional resistance into the circuit, which can affect the overall power efficiency. Additionally, if the values of the resistors are not chosen carefully, it can lead to further voltage drop or distortion in the output signal.