What is the Capacitance of the Earth-Ionosphere System?

• Thread starter lmstaples
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the Earth and ionosphere can be considered as a spherical capacitor with a potential difference of 350000V. The capacitance of the system can be calculated using the formula C=4πε0/(1/Rb-1/Ra), where Ra is the radius of the Earth and Rb-Ra is the difference between the radii of the Earth and ionosphere. The total charge on the capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance with the potential difference, and the energy stored in the system can be calculated using the formula U=1/2CV^2. The mean radius of the Earth can be found online.
lmstaples

Homework Statement

The Earth can be considered as a single-conductor capacitor. It can also be considered in combination with a charged layer of the atmosphere, the ionosphere, as a spherical capacitor with two plates, the surface of the Earth being the negative plate. The ionosphere is at a level of about 70km, and the potential difference between Earth and ionosphere is about 350000V.

(a) Calculate the capacitance of this system.

(b) Calculate the total charge on the capacitor.

(c) Calculate the energy stored in the system.

Homework Equations

[itex]C=\frac{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}{[\frac{1}{R_b}-\frac{1}{R_a}]}[/itex]

[itex]Q=CV[/itex]

[itex]U=\frac{1}{2}CV^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Doesn't give me [itex]R_a[/itex] (radius of earth?) so I don't see how to get around it. I assume [itex]R_b - R_a[/itex] is the difference between the radius of Earth and the ionosphere, but then I don't know what [itex]R_a R_B[/itex] is.

The rest seems easy once I have the capacitance

Physics news on Phys.org
The mean radius of the Earth is 6371km. It says so on the internet so it is true :wink:.

1. What is the Earth's capacitance?

The Earth's capacitance refers to the ability of the Earth to store and hold an electric charge. It is a measure of the Earth's ability to hold electrical energy within its atmosphere and surface.

2. How is the Earth's capacitance measured?

The Earth's capacitance is typically measured using a unit called farads (F). It is a standard unit of measurement for capacitance and represents the amount of charge that can be stored per unit of voltage.

3. What factors affect the Earth's capacitance?

The Earth's capacitance is affected by several factors, including the distance between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere, the composition of the Earth's surface, and the presence of charged particles in the atmosphere.

4. Why is the Earth's capacitance important?

The Earth's capacitance plays a crucial role in maintaining the Earth's delicate electrical balance. It helps to regulate the flow of electrical energy between the Earth and its atmosphere, which is essential for the functioning of many natural processes, such as lightning and the Earth's magnetic field. It also plays a role in the transmission and reception of radio waves.

5. Can the Earth's capacitance change?

Yes, the Earth's capacitance can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the Earth's magnetic field, atmospheric conditions, and human activities. For example, the addition of man-made structures, such as power lines and buildings, can alter the Earth's capacitance in a localized area.