Exploring the Science Paywall: Rising Costs & Private Profits

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: This is a common misconception about academics. A lot of people think that all academics just sit around reading papers and then coming up with a new theory. In reality, a lot of academics are out there working on their research and trying to publish it.
Interesting piece, what do you think?

Scientists’ work follows a consistent pattern. They apply for grants, perform their research, and publish the results in a journal. The process is so routine it almost seems inevitable. But what if it’s not the best way to do science?

Although the act of publishing seems to entail sharing your research with the world, most published papers sit behind paywalls. The journals that publish them charge thousands of dollars per subscription, putting access out of reach to all but the most minted universities. Subscription costs have risen dramatically over the past generation. According to critics of the publishers, those increases are the result of the consolidation of journals by private companies who unduly profit off their market share of scientific knowledge.

http://blog.priceonomics.com/post/50096804256/why-is-science-behind-a-paywall

Physics news on Phys.org
And don't forget, if you want to publish, you have to pay as well. It occurs to me that there is some tension with the freedom of information act. Basically, what the government has funded, should be available to its taxpayers.

The current work around is that scholar google mentions in the right column where the papers can be found outside the paywalls like this.

Andre said:
And don't forget, if you want to publish, you have to pay as well. It occurs to me that there is some tension with the freedom of information act. Basically, what the government has funded, should be available to its taxpayers.

I agree. I never understood why it isn't openly available. Apart from more applied or pharmaceutical sciences where stuff may get patented or stolen for financial gain, I don't see how leaving much fundamental research out there would pose a problem nor why it requires so much money to publish on online journals.

I know a phd graduate who did much of thesis work on his own time without access to academic journals at his workplace(he was an untraditional student, unfunded and did theory). He often had to hassle his advisers to get his hands on articles.

I presume there are a lot of other people out there with no academic affiliation that actually have the time to read papers and possibly work on something, but can't afford the fees. All the researchers I have known have always been willing to email their articles upon request, so there's always that avenue.

Lavabug said:
...I presume there are a lot of other people out there with no academic affiliation that actually have the time to read papers and possibly work on something,..

It happens occasionally.

I've found out several papers that are supposed not to be free (for example http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v89/i5/e050601) but that anyone can find in google. Just put the exact title of the article and add "pdf" in google.
I've been able to find all the papers I was looking for so far, though they weren't many at all.

fluidistic said:
I've found out several papers that are supposed not to be free (for example http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v89/i5/e050601) but that anyone can find in google. Just put the exact title of the article and add "pdf" in google.
I've been able to find all the papers I was looking for so far, though they weren't many at all.
There's always the ArXiv too for the preprint/rough version (often unchanged, IME) of articles that have been accepted at big name journals like ApJ, A&A and PRL, but I haven't always found what I'm looking for (I used to use the arxiv search as a pre-search engine to take me to the official paper at Harvard ADS, until I discovered the ADS search plugin for firefox) it and of course you may be missing on modifications to the printed version.

Lavabug said:
I presume there are a lot of other people out there with no academic affiliation that actually have the time to read papers and possibly work on something, but can't afford the fees.

No problem, in the (large) company I work for. It runs a library (an actual physical one full of real paper documents!) with a professional librarian on the company payroll. It makes financial sense to centralize subscriptions for all types of information, not just scientific journals, rather than having individual compay departments donig their own thing from their own budgets and maybe duplicating each other, or buying less-than-top-quality information because they didn't know any better.

The "actually have the time to read papers and possibly work on something" is a bit patronizing - I spend a few hours a week browsing several journals, and usually find at least one paper that's worth copying to study in detail. of course the "real work" is making relatively throwaway comments from several different sources add up to more than the sum of their parts...

AlephZero said:
No problem, in the (large) company I work for. It runs a library (an actual physical one full of real paper documents!) with a professional librarian on the company payroll. It makes financial sense to centralize subscriptions for all types of information, not just scientific journals, rather than having individual compay departments donig their own thing from their own budgets and maybe duplicating each other, or buying less-than-top-quality information because they didn't know any better.

The "actually have the time to read papers and possibly work on something" is a bit patronizing - I spend a few hours a week browsing several journals, and usually find at least one paper that's worth copying to study in detail. of course the "real work" is making relatively throwaway comments from several different sources add up to more than the sum of their parts...

I don't see how it is patronizing...

I'm just saying there must be a ton of educated and very capable people out there who have the time and desire to study journal articles and potentially produce something publishable, but who lack the means to get their hands on them.

As opposed to someone who is absorbed in a totally different line of work and can't realistically spend much time staying up to date on a research field.

I wasn't talking about crackpots, in case it came off that way.

I do not see any problem in my field (particle physics). I check arXiv every morning. If I know the name, I will read it. If I do not know the name, it is unlikely I will read it. If the published version differs form the original on arXiv, the arXiv paper is updated. If I missed out on something, it is very easy to catch up from other publications/colleagues/next conference. I think if another discipline is not yet doing this, they are late in their organisation. Am I missing something ?

One can publish in open-access journals or make an article open access by paying extra money, those options exist.

Because of something that came up on today on Physics Forums, I want to look at a particular 1995 article. The article has been cited fairly often, and is not on the arXiv. My university's license for this particular journal starts in 1999.

George Jones said:
Because of something that came up on today on Physics Forums, I want to look at a particular 1995 article. The article has been cited fairly often, and is not on the arXiv. My university's license for this particular journal starts in 1999.
Is there an option to buy the article? Ones I've been interested in usually cost around $35.

George Jones said:

Does anyone know why I wanted to look at this article?

I finally got around to getting this article through interlibray loan, but now I forget the details of why i wanted it! Presumably something to do with

George Jones said:
Here is what I know ...

but there was more to it than this. I wanted to calculate other specific things. What were they?! argh!

George Jones said:

I finally got around to getting this article through interlibray loan, but now I forget the details of why i wanted it! Presumably something to do with

but there was more to it than this. I wanted to calculate other specific things. What were they?! argh!

Oh dear. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!

lisab said:
Oh dear. I don't know whether to laugh or cry!
I feel the same. Poor George!

There's something called the Berlin Declaration on Open Access. I don't know how funding agencies in the US do it, but in EU it's common that they have signed this declaration, which means that everyone who receives money from them commit to publishing all their related work on open access. The simplest way of fulfilling that part of the contract is of course to also put everything up on arXiv, but that at least means that everything will be available there openly to the public.

In May 2013 I posted
George Jones said:

In February 2014, I posted
George Jones said:

I finally got around to getting this article through interlibray loan, but now I forget the details of why i wanted it! argh!

I want to look at this article for a thread in which I am posting today.

Does know anyone know where I put the article?

George Jones said:
In May 2013 I posted

In February 2014, I posted

I want to look at this article for a thread in which I am posting today.

Does know anyone know where I put the article?

:rofl:

I think it's in the magazine rack in the bathroom.

What is a science paywall?

A science paywall is a digital barrier that restricts access to scientific research articles, typically requiring payment or a subscription to view the full content.

Why are the costs of accessing scientific research increasing?

The costs of accessing scientific research are increasing due to a combination of factors, including the rising costs of publishing, the consolidation of academic publishers, and the demand for open access publishing.

Who profits from the science paywall?

The profits from the science paywall primarily go to academic publishers, who charge high subscription fees for access to their journals. These profits are often seen as excessive and have led to criticism of the current publishing system.

What are the implications of the science paywall?

The science paywall has several implications, including limiting access to scientific research for those who cannot afford the fees, hindering the dissemination of knowledge, and contributing to the ongoing issue of inequality in the scientific community.

What are some potential solutions to the issue of rising costs and private profits in scientific publishing?

Some potential solutions include promoting open access publishing models, supporting alternative publishing platforms, and advocating for government funding to cover publishing costs. Additionally, raising awareness and encouraging discussion about the issue can also help drive change in the publishing industry.