Career advice sought: Aerospace engineering or physics.

In summary, the conversation revolved around the individual's interest in pursuing a career in theoretical physics despite studying aerospace engineering. They expressed concerns about their chances for success and their aversion to teaching. The other person reassured them that they have the potential to succeed as long as they manage their finances and have a strong work ethic. They also emphasized the importance of communication and personability in the field of physics.
DaNiEl!
Hello. Maybe this sort of question has been answered before so excuse my laziness.
At the moment I'm doing my 2nd year in aerospace engineering and my grades won't go much higher than 14. Still, I'd like to get your opinion about my odds if I follow a theoretical physics career or if that's possible at all. I chose this engineering because i'd like to apply my knowledge to real things but mainly because I don't want to end up as a professor: I can't see myself teaching classes (assuming anyone would want me to do that). So, knowing I see teaching with horror, and that I'm not studying sub-atomic particles any time soon, how good are my chances a priori?

Physics news on Phys.org
14 out of what?

I am completely convinced that you can pretty much do anyway you want as long as you never have debt and do not have a family to support. Your in college so you should know how to live for basically nothing. You could work two days out of the week and be able to afford that life style. So, you can always follow theoretical physics or whatever it is you want to do.

Now, if you are asking if you are assured a succesfull career in theoretical physics then depending on you definition of success this may or may not be answerible. There is nothing you can do to *assure* you have a steller career in research (part of this is really luck at least that is what I hear). But, if you mean by success as in offering substantial contributions to physics, then there are things you can do to accomplish this.

Teaching a classroom of college students is not a necessity. But, you have to realize that most successful people in research work with other people (especially in physics). This involves teaching your colleges the things you know and vise verse. Only people who are really really great do not have to communicate their ideas very often (but there path is much harder). It takes a very long time for their research to valued as it should be because they are not communicating it with many other people. This reminds me of the group theorist who recently won the fields metal. There are only a few people on the planent who understand his work because the time it takes to understand it is so substantial that many view it as disadvantagous. He went through a lot in regards to the time it took to get the respect he deserves. My point being that learning how to teach others is a worthwhile skill as well as being personable.

I think you will notice your own teachers are quite personable. They might have an odd sense of humor or not give much time to their students but with each other you will always see them enjoying a good chat.

I can understand your dilemma and the decision you have to make between aerospace engineering and theoretical physics. Both fields offer exciting and challenging career paths, and it ultimately depends on your interests and strengths.

In terms of your grades, I would advise you not to be discouraged by a particular number or grade. What matters more is your understanding and passion for the subject matter. If you are truly passionate about aerospace engineering, then I would encourage you to continue pursuing it. Your grades may improve as you gain more experience and knowledge in the field.

On the other hand, if you are more interested in theoretical physics, then I would suggest exploring that option further. It is certainly possible to transition from aerospace engineering to theoretical physics, but it may require additional education and training. You can also consider combining both fields, as there are many overlaps and applications between them.

Regarding your chances of success in a theoretical physics career, it really depends on your dedication, hard work, and ability to think critically. Teaching is not the only career option for theoretical physicists. You can also work in research and development, consulting, or even in the private sector. It's important to keep an open mind and explore all the possibilities.

Ultimately, what matters most is that you choose a career path that aligns with your interests and strengths. Both aerospace engineering and theoretical physics offer exciting and fulfilling opportunities, and with dedication and hard work, you can excel in either field. I wish you all the best in your decision-making process and future career endeavors.

1. Which field offers more job opportunities, aerospace engineering or physics?

Aerospace engineering and physics both offer a wide range of job opportunities. However, the demand for aerospace engineers is expected to grow faster than the average for all occupations, while the demand for physicists is expected to grow at a slower pace. Ultimately, the choice between the two fields should be based on your interests and strengths.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in aerospace engineering or physics?

Both aerospace engineering and physics require strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematics and physics principles. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are important in both fields, as you will often be working on projects with others.

3. What type of education is required for a career in aerospace engineering or physics?

Most careers in aerospace engineering and physics require at least a bachelor's degree in the respective field. However, for more advanced positions or research roles, a graduate degree may be necessary. It is important to research specific job requirements and educational opportunities to determine the best path for your desired career.

4. What are the differences between aerospace engineering and physics?

Aerospace engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, development, and testing of aircraft and spacecraft. Physics, on the other hand, is a natural science that studies matter, energy, and their interactions. While both fields involve a strong understanding of math and physics, aerospace engineering is more focused on practical applications and engineering principles, while physics is more theoretical in nature.

5. Can I pursue a career in both aerospace engineering and physics?

Yes, it is possible to have a career in both fields. Many aerospace engineers also have a background in physics, and some physicists may work in the aerospace industry. However, it is important to keep in mind that both fields require a significant amount of education and experience, so it may be challenging to pursue both simultaneously. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before making a decision on which field to pursue.