Gravity: Earth-sized platinum sphere with 3 meter empty center - behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an object being placed in the center of a giant sphere and the effects of gravity on that object. There is a debate about whether the object will float or be pulled towards the edges of the sphere due to the offset of being in the center. It is clarified that the object will float due to the Newton's shell theorem, which states that the net gravitational force will be zero at all points of the hollow. The conversation also discusses the idea of tunnels leading to the center of the sphere and how the forces would interact in that scenario.
ndvcxk
of loose object in the center. This object is now surrounded by mass, will it hover exactly in the center of the hole, is there no gravity there ? If it is flexible, will it be expanded if it is expandable. How does one calculate this?

(For realism, assume symetrical 2 meter channels from the surface of the giant sphere by which the object was lifted down into the center.

Thx, from physics newbie.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there will be gravity. However, not what you feel as that force that holds you on the floor. It will be pulled on all sides and stretched because of this. This happens because there is relatively equal mass every direction you look as compared to other directions, and so you feel a force in every direction. However, realistically it will not float. Two reasons: gravity from other objects outside the sphere (assuming you've placed it in our universe,) and (if you have it by itself, no other objects in "it's" universe) that nothing can be exactly in the center, and thus by the theory of gravity more force(very very very very minute) will be felt on one side than the other because of this offset and because difference in force equals movement, it will ever so slowly move closer to the edge of the compartment. If you find a way to place it exactly in the center, it will do nothing but expand, if expandable.

As far as calculations go I would think it would involve dividing the object up many times and doing calculations for each division.

Last edited:
ChrisAndre said:
If you find a way to place it exactly in the center, it will do nothing but expand, if expandable.
I don't think there are any tidal forces from the sphere.

DaleSpam said:
I don't think there are any tidal forces from the sphere.

Right, because tidal forces require a gravitational differential, and due to the Newton's shell theorem, the net gravitational force will be zero at all points of the hollow.

It will be a situation of microgravity just like when orbiting the Earth in a spaceship. Sure there'll be some >0 force in some direction from something, but for all intents and purposes, a person in this empty center will be free-floating.

Thanks for the correction. I understand now.

Thx for responding guys,
Let's say there were symmetrical tunnels leading to the hole at the center of the sphere, such
that you could slide down, finally coming to rest at center (after zipping into the opposite direction)

Now, as you hang in the center, the two masses should be exerting opposite effects, but I take it the consensus is that the gravity waves are compensating, i.e. each atom in your body is separately pulled and pushed, meaning a smooth float..right..? thx

Pulled. But yes, you would float.

Lsos said:
Pulled. But yes, you would float.

Pulled, how? Janus nailed it when he said Newton's shell theorem solves this problem. All of the gravitational forces cancel on the inside of a shell. Your answer seems to indicate you would be pulled to opposite sides at the same time. A body would only feel "pulled" if the forces were different on it at different points. Everywhere you are on the inside of a shell the forces all add up to zero. There is no place in it that is pulled to one side more than the other.

I was just trying to specify that gravity pulls, not pushes, in response to the poster above me.

1. What is the purpose of the Earth-sized platinum sphere with a 3 meter empty center?

The purpose of this sphere is to simulate the gravitational pull and behavior of a planet or celestial body with similar mass and composition to Earth. It allows scientists to study the effects of gravity on objects and how they interact with each other.

2. How does the empty center of the sphere affect its behavior?

The empty center of the sphere does not have any significant effect on its behavior. It is simply a space for objects to be placed and interact with the gravitational pull of the sphere.

3. How does the behavior of this platinum sphere differ from that of a planet like Earth?

The behavior of this platinum sphere is very similar to that of a planet like Earth. Both have a large mass and therefore have a strong gravitational pull. However, the sphere may not have the same atmospheric or geological features that affect the behavior of a planet.

4. What can we learn from studying the behavior of this platinum sphere?

By studying the behavior of this platinum sphere, we can gain a better understanding of the fundamental principles of gravity and how it affects objects. This knowledge can then be applied to study the behavior of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

5. How is this experiment conducted and what kind of equipment is used?

This experiment is typically conducted in a controlled laboratory environment. The platinum sphere is held in place by a support structure and objects are placed in the empty center. Sensitive measuring equipment, such as gravimeters, may be used to record and analyze the behavior of the objects in response to the gravitational pull of the sphere.