WE theorem to evaluate matrix elements

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the WE theorem to evaluate matrix elements, with the focus on the (-1)^{f'+m'-m} part which is suspected to be incorrect. The rest of the equation is believed to be correct, but the exponent is still unknown. The conversation also mentions a different theorem, <\tau J ||T^{(k)}||\tau' J'>, and offers to provide some help.
pollo
Hi!

In my work I use the WE theorem to evaluate matrix elements. F being the total spin and m the projection onto the z-axis, I am using:

<JIFm|r_(-q)|J'IF'm'>=(-1)^(F'+m'-m)<Fm1q|F'm'>sqrt(2F+1)sixj(F, F', 1:J',J,I)<J'||r||J>

I have a problem with the (-1)^ part which I suspect to be wrong, but have not been able to find a formula to compare a check. Am quite sure the rest is right. Could somebody help and tell what should be in the exponent?

Physics news on Phys.org

pollo said:
hi!

In my work i use the we theorem to evaluate matrix elements. F being the total spin and m the projection onto the z-axis, i am using:

<jifm|r_(-q)|j'if'm'>=(-1)^{f'+m'-m}<fm1q|f'm'>\sqrt{2f+1}sixj(f, f', 1:j',j,i)<j'||r||j>

i have a problem with the (-1)^ part which i suspect to be wrong, but have not been able to find a formula to compare a check. Am quite sure the rest is right. Could somebody help and tell what should be in the exponent?

I have the theorem as:

[tex]<\tau J M|T_q^{(k)}|\tau' J' M'> = {1 \over {\sqrt{2J+1}}}<\tau J ||T^{(k)}||\tau' J'><J' k M' q| J M>[/tex]

where [tex]<\tau J ||T^{(k)}||\tau' J'>[/tex] is the reduced matrix element.

Unfortunately I couldn't make head nor tail of the function you're trying to use. Maybe I'll've been of some help. Either way, this has been here for a couple of days with no reply, so maybe this will help the discussion.

Hello!

The WE theorem is a useful tool in evaluating matrix elements, particularly in the context of quantum mechanics and angular momentum. The (-1)^ exponent in your equation is related to the parity of the system and can be either +1 or -1 depending on the quantum numbers involved. In order to determine the correct value, you will need to consider the parity of the states involved and use the appropriate selection rules. I would recommend consulting a textbook or a more experienced colleague for assistance in determining the correct value for your specific system. Additionally, double-checking your calculations and using a formula sheet as a reference can also help in verifying the accuracy of your results. Good luck with your research!

1. What is the WE theorem?

The WE theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that allows for the evaluation of matrix elements in a system. It states that the expectation value of an operator in a given state can be calculated by summing over all possible intermediate states, weighted by their probability amplitudes.

2. How is the WE theorem used to evaluate matrix elements?

The WE theorem is used by first identifying the operator of interest and the initial and final states of the system. Then, all possible intermediate states are considered and their corresponding probability amplitudes are calculated. These amplitudes are then multiplied by the matrix elements associated with each state and summed together to obtain the final result.

3. What are the key assumptions of the WE theorem?

The WE theorem assumes that the system is in a state of superposition, meaning that it can exist in multiple states simultaneously. It also assumes that the system is in a stationary state, meaning that its properties do not change over time. Lastly, the WE theorem assumes that the system is isolated, meaning that there are no external influences or interactions.

4. What are some applications of the WE theorem?

The WE theorem is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate transition probabilities, such as in atomic and molecular spectroscopy. It is also used in the calculation of scattering amplitudes, which are important in understanding particle interactions and phenomena in high energy physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the WE theorem?

Yes, there are some limitations to the WE theorem. It is only applicable to systems that are in a state of superposition, which may not always be the case. Additionally, it does not take into account external factors or interactions, which may affect the overall matrix element calculation. In some cases, more advanced techniques may be needed to accurately evaluate matrix elements.