What is the Relationship Between Nucleus Size and Material Strength?

In summary, the size of a nucleus is directly related to the strength of its material. This is because a larger nucleus has a greater number of protons and neutrons, which are responsible for the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus together. As the size of the nucleus increases, so does the strength of this force, making the material more resilient and resistant to external forces. Additionally, a larger nucleus also has a larger volume, allowing for more space between particles and reducing the likelihood of collisions that could weaken the material. Therefore, the relationship between nucleus size and material strength is a crucial factor in understanding the properties and behavior of different materials.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Material Science Questions...

I finally got to exercise a bit of material science. I'd like to know whether what I'm saying correct or no. I also ran into two issues with Brinell's hardness calculations and SEA chart. I'd appreciate feedback! :) 1) Decreasing the size of the nucleus causes...

A) Increasing plasticity
B) Increasing strength
C) Thermic durability
D) A+B

I chose A. I do know for sure that decreasing the size of the nucelous makes the material stronger. It just makes more sense that when you have more little things to break

2) What's the correct sentence? (Based on the unit cell crsytal formation lattice)

A) Vanadium is more plastic than Magnesium
B) Vanadium is stronger than Magnesium
C) Vanadium is less hard than Magnesium in high temp'

Vanadium is a BCC. Mg is CPH.

CPH (and FCC) are denser than BCC. Therefor, I chooose B. Vanadium is stronger than Magnesium.

3) What thermal treatment is designed to unite steel?

A) Annealing
B) Homogenization
C) Tempering

I choose B. That's what I believe the manual is getting it.

4) What's the precentage of steel SAE10150?

A) 0.15%
B) 1.5%
C) 15%

I couldn't find a SEA chart in my book, so I looked at wiki, but wiki's list only starts from 201!

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4534/wikischart.jpg

Does anyone have a good link for me for a chart?

5) In a normalization process the cooling is done:
A) In oil
B) In air
C) In an oven

"Air" form what I was able to google (also couln't find that in my book)

6) Calculate the hardness level by Brinell’s method

A) Ball diameter – 10mm
B) Dent size – 4mm
C) Pressing Force – 3000 [N

From some reason am getting syntax error!

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6862/synerror.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Femme_physics said:
1) Decreasing the size of the nucleus causes...

A) Increasing plasticity
B) Increasing strength
C) Thermic durability
D) A+B

I chose A. I do know for sure that decreasing the size of the nucelous makes the material stronger. It just makes more sense that when you have more little things to break

Assuming "nucleus" means grain... Why choose A if you "know for sure" that B is correct? :confused:

4) What's the precentage ?carbon? of steel SAE10150?

A) 0.15%
B) 1.5%
C) 15%
SAE10XX are plain carbon steels. The percentage carbon is xx/100. For example SAE 1020 would be a low carbon steel (0.2%). SAE1060 would be fairly high carbon steel, 0.6% carbon. SAE10150 would have to be 1.5% carbon, a very high carbon steel.See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades

Femme_physics;33062996) Calculate the hardness level by Brinell’s method A) Ball diameter – 10mm B) Dent size – 4mm C) Pressing Force – 3000 [N From some reason am getting syntax error! [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/synerror.jpg/ said:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6862/synerror.jpg [/URL]

What software is giving you the syntax error? I see two things that might be causing a syntax error:
1) The dot in the denominator. Maybe you need to use *, which is commonly used for multiplication.
2) The expression 10(10 - <other stuff>). Possibly whatever you're using requires an operator (e.g., *) for multiplication.

uart said:
SAE10XX are plain carbon steels. The percentage carbon is xx/100. For example SAE 1020 would be a low carbon steel (0.2%). SAE1060 would be fairly high carbon steel, 0.6% carbon. SAE10150 would have to be 1.5% carbon, a very high carbon steel.

See : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_steel_grades

I see how it works, the "xx" represent the percentage then? So simple :)
Assuming "nucleus" means grain... Why choose A if you "know for sure" that B is correct?

Must've been a terrible mishap, was meant to be B :)
1) The dot in the denominator. Maybe you need to use *, which is commonly used for multiplication.

This is just a Microsoft Equation representation of what I plugged to my calculator.

2) The expression 10(10 - <other stuff>). Possibly whatever you're using requires an operator (e.g., *) for multiplication.

I'll try it again tomorrow then and get back to you :) thanks.

Re the syntax error. It looks like you have the right parenthesis in the wrong place in the denominator, part of which is shown below.

[tex]10(10 - \sqrt{10^2 - 4^2)}[/tex]

This should be
[tex]10(10 - \sqrt{10^2 - 4^2})[/tex]
IOW, the right paren should be outside the radical. That would definitely cause a syntax error.

Femme_physics said:
6) Calculate the hardness level by Brinell’s method

A) Ball diameter – 10mm
B) Dent size – 4mm
C) Pressing Force – 3000 [N

From some reason am getting syntax error!

http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/6862/synerror.jpg

Be careful of units, are you sure Pressing Force is given in Newtons?
Other than that, your calculator ought to handle this expression.
You might add extra parentheses, to insure correct order of operations.

Thanks you two :) Mark had it right on the money, it's about the right paren being outside of the radical. Many thanks over this :)

1. What is material science?

Material science is a field of study that focuses on the design, characterization, and application of materials. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, and engineering to understand and manipulate the properties of different materials.

2. What are the different types of materials?

There are three main types of materials studied in material science: metals, polymers, and ceramics. Metals are typically good conductors of heat and electricity, while polymers are made up of long chains of molecules and are often flexible. Ceramics are known for their high melting points and hardness.

3. How are materials characterized?

Materials are characterized by their physical, chemical, and mechanical properties. Physical properties include things like density, melting point, and thermal conductivity. Chemical properties refer to the material's reactivity with other substances. Mechanical properties measure a material's strength, stiffness, and toughness.

4. What is the importance of material science?

Material science plays a crucial role in many industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, and electronics. By understanding the properties of different materials, scientists can develop new and improved products that are stronger, lighter, and more durable.

5. How does material science contribute to sustainability?

Material science is essential for developing sustainable solutions for our society. By studying and understanding how materials degrade and interact with the environment, scientists can design materials that are more environmentally friendly and have a longer lifespan. This can lead to a reduction in waste and a more sustainable future.