String Theory: Formal vs Applied - Which Allows More GR?

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between formal aspects and applied things in string theory, with the person seeking to understand which would allow for more use of general relativity in their research project. They also ask for clarification on their understanding of the two concepts.
latentcorpse
I'm unsure if this is the right place for this question or not but hopefully I'll still get some helpful responses even if I'm in the wrong place!

I was discussing a potential string theory research project with a potential supervisor and he was asking me whether I was more interested in "formal aspects" or applied things?

To be honest, I don't really know the difference! I assume that formal aspects is essentially studying the theory i.e. the maths behind string theory (so this would be a lot of quantum field theory and group theory for the symmetries etc and hopefully some general relativity as well?)

Would applied things be for example, the use of string theory in describing black holes? I guess this would involve more general relativity than the first one? I'd like to do my project in this area but would like as much general relativity as possible - therefore, my questions are:

(i) Is my understanding of formal aspects and applied aspects correct?
(ii) Which would allow me to use more General Relativity?

Thanks very much for your replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
I'm unsure if this is the right place for this question or not but hopefully I'll still get some helpful responses even if I'm in the wrong place!

I was discussing a potential string theory research project with a potential supervisor and he was asking me whether I was more interested in "formal aspects" or applied things?

To be honest, I don't really know the difference! I assume that formal aspects is essentially studying the theory i.e. the maths behind string theory (so this would be a lot of quantum field theory and group theory for the symmetries etc and hopefully some general relativity as well?)

Would applied things be for example, the use of string theory in describing black holes? I guess this would involve more general relativity than the first one? I'd like to do my project in this area but would like as much general relativity as possible - therefore, my questions are:

(i) Is my understanding of formal aspects and applied aspects correct?
(ii) Which would allow me to use more General Relativity?

Thanks very much for your replies!

I'm not sure why you've bothered to post this here -- it seems you know what you want to do your project on, why not just tell your professor this? What does it matter the distinction applied/formal when you know much more specifically what you want to do?

But since I can't help but address the question briefly...

I'd say the formal aspects of a theory are the symmetries, how the theory is constructed, the difficulties that go into that part of it. In general, just the mathematical structure of the problem. E.g. everything up until you get an action and derive equations of motion, constraints. Applied stuff, in my opinion, would be essentially taking the action (eom) as given, and going forwards from there to describe some phenomenon.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of all particles and forces in the universe. It proposes that particles are not point-like objects, but rather tiny strings vibrating at different frequencies, giving rise to different particles and forces.

2. What is the difference between formal and applied string theory?

Formal string theory focuses on the mathematical and theoretical aspects of the theory, while applied string theory applies the concepts of string theory to real-world phenomena and attempts to make experimental predictions.

3. Which approach, formal or applied, allows for a better understanding of general relativity?

Both formal and applied string theory can contribute to a better understanding of general relativity. Formal string theory provides a mathematical framework for incorporating gravity into the theory, while applied string theory can help make experimental predictions and test the theory.

4. Does one approach, formal or applied, have more practical applications?

Currently, neither formal nor applied string theory has any confirmed practical applications. However, both approaches have the potential to lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the universe.

5. Is one approach, formal or applied, more widely accepted by the scientific community?

The scientific community is divided on the acceptance of string theory as a whole, and there is no consensus on which approach, formal or applied, is more widely accepted. Both approaches have their own proponents and critics within the scientific community.