Exploring the Link Between Mass/Energy and Time Dilation in Gravity

In summary, the conversation revolves around the causes of gravity, specifically whether mass/energy is responsible for time dilation and if this results in gravity. The General Theory of Relativity is mentioned as a well-known theory that describes gravity as a result of both mass and energy. The discussion also touches on the idea of time passing at the speed of light and the possibility of gravity having an entropic origin. Ultimately, it is noted that while science may not have all the answers to the "why" questions, it is still a valuable tool in understanding the world around us.
ryan albery
So far as I understand it, mass/energy causes gravity, and gravity results in time dilation. Does anyone know of a theory that views mass/energy as causing time dilation, and the differences in time are what causes gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a quite well known one call The General Theory Of Relativity. It's not just time though. Length contraction is the spatial equivalent of time dilation. It's not just mass that causes gravity, it's total energy. Mass and energy are equivalent (That's the Special Theory Of Relativity). GR describes the curvature on a four-dimensional manifold as gravity.

Funny for sure, I've definitely heard of General Relativity. My question is more towards the 'why' there is gravity, rather than describing it with equations. Does it make sense to say that time passes at the speed of light? Regardless of your perspective, light travels at the same speed, the speed of time, hence time/length dilation by the equations of GR?

My original thought with this thread is that the more mass you have, the more certain you can be of position, and the less certain you are about it's momentum... or basically it's rate of time. A very-very crude analogy would be like the Bernoulli effect, so far as the differences (quantum uncertainties) in velocities of time creating a pressure in time that we call gravity.

Dang, very speculative here, what is time?

ryan albery said:
Funny for sure, I've definitely heard of General Relativity. My question is more towards the 'why' there is gravity, rather than describing it with equations.

This kind of question gets asked a lot here, and the answer is that science doesn't really deal with this kind of 'why' questions. As far as our best (in terms of predictive power) theory is concerned, gravity is caused simply by mass/energy. Why is it that way? Just is. Someone might come along with another more powerful theory, which will say gravity is caused by X, but again there will be no answer as to why. It's a general feature of physical theories that they simply describe, or model, the world rather than attempt to answer deep why questions. Fundamentally, it comes from the fact that physical theories always rest on assumptions (axioms) which cannot be proven from any (known) simpler axioms. One can imagine reducing and reducing the system until everything is derived from a small number of axioms, but I doubt these would be very intuitive. At this point, the only thing to assuage feelings that science is ultimately guesswork is to note that these axioms give results that are in agreement with what we observe in nature.

The point is, why questions are better asked to philosophers :)

Thanks Nabeshin. I get what you are saying, and thanks for saying it kindly, but for me 'just is' is just the kind of thing I like to think about. I think I understand Feynman's license plate, but what does science really come down to? Like our constants of G,c,h, e, Pi... ratios really, why the **** is 1/137? Religion? I hope so. That would be cool. But I'd still like to understand why.

But now I wonder... can science answer the question why? I do hope so, cause religion is sketchy, like time.

There's a view point that a spin-2 field in quantum field theory has to generate the general relativity(See Nima's lecture at Pitp 2011, IAS). Maybe this is not satisfying. A novel approach by Verlinde is gravity may have an entropic origin. However, this theory is far from well-developed.

1. What is the link between mass/energy and time dilation in gravity?

The link between mass/energy and time dilation in gravity is described by Einstein's theory of general relativity. According to this theory, mass and energy are equivalent and can be converted into each other. This means that objects with more mass or energy will have a stronger gravitational pull, which in turn affects the flow of time around them.

2. How does gravity affect the flow of time?

Gravity affects the flow of time by causing time dilation. This means that time runs slower near objects with large masses, such as planets or stars, compared to objects with smaller masses. This effect is also known as gravitational time dilation and has been confirmed through experiments and observations.

3. Can we observe time dilation in our daily lives?

Yes, we can observe time dilation in our daily lives, although the effect is extremely small. For example, the GPS navigation system in our phones needs to account for time dilation caused by the Earth's gravity in order to function accurately. This effect is also taken into consideration in satellite communication and other technologies that rely on precise time measurements.

4. Is time dilation only caused by gravity?

No, time dilation can also be caused by other factors such as velocity. According to the theory of relativity, time runs slower for objects moving at high speeds. This effect is known as velocity time dilation and has also been confirmed through experiments and observations.

5. How does time dilation affect our understanding of the universe?

Time dilation is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe. It helps us explain phenomena such as the slowing down of time near black holes and the expansion of the universe. It also plays a role in the study of cosmology and can help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe.