Paramet. eqn. of traject. w/ s&w gravity

• Thread starter shoopa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the person is asking for help with a math problem involving parametric equations for a trajectory with gravitational force pulling west and south. They are unsure about the use of the t variable and the multiplication of gravity by 0.5 in the equation. They also question whether gravity should be multiplied together for the x-axis and y-axis. They ask for confirmation from someone knowledgeable in math and wonder why someone would set up a coordinate system in this way.
shoopa
hello all.
Im a bit stuck on a math problem. I am trying to figure out what the parametric equations of a trajectory with a gravitational force pulling west and south. My first questions are should the t variable be squared and the gravity multiplied by .5 in:
x=(v(o)cos(angle))t-.5gt2
I think this because its counterpart, y, has this.

would it also go something like:
distance=x= [((v(0)^2)sin(2*angle)]/ [g(w)*g(s)]
where g(w) represents gravity pulling west, and g(s) for gravity south. What i question in this is is g(w) is multiplied by g(s). i think this is correct but i would really appreciate a confirmation from a math wiz (the people on this site). Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a reason for doing such a thing? Yes, you can set up a coordinate system so that gravity is pulling "west and south", that is, at an angle to you NS, EW coordinate axes, but it makes things a lot harder! In fact that's why we HAVE "up" and "down". It's so much easier to have gravity pulling in the direction of one axis that we tend to THINK that way!

Hi there,
I'm not a math wiz, but I can try to help with your question. The parametric equations for a trajectory with a gravitational force pulling west and south would be:
x = (v0 cosθ)t
y = (v0 sinθ)t - 0.5gt^2

Where v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (which should be negative in this case since it is pulling south). The t variable should not be squared in the x equation, as it is only used to represent time and not acceleration. And the 0.5 in the y equation is necessary to account for the acceleration due to gravity.

As for your second question, the distance formula you provided is incorrect. The correct formula for distance is:
distance = (v0^2 sin2θ)/g

There is no need to multiply g(w) and g(s) together, as they are both components of the same gravitational force. I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your math problem!

What is the parametric equation of trajectory with constant speed and weight gravity?

The parametric equation of trajectory with constant speed and weight gravity is represented as x = v0 * t * cos(θ) and y = -½ * g * t2 + v0 * t * sin(θ), where v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory?

The angle of projection affects the trajectory by determining the initial vertical and horizontal velocities of the object. A larger angle of projection will result in a higher initial vertical velocity and a shorter time of flight, while a smaller angle of projection will result in a lower initial vertical velocity and a longer time of flight.

What is the significance of constant speed in the parametric equation of trajectory?

The constant speed in the parametric equation of trajectory ensures that the object maintains a constant speed throughout its motion. This allows for simpler calculations and more accurate predictions of the object's position at any given time.

How does the weight of an object affect its trajectory?

The weight of an object, which is represented by the acceleration due to gravity, affects the trajectory by pulling the object downwards and causing it to follow a curved path. The greater the weight of the object, the steeper the curve of the trajectory will be.

Can the parametric equation of trajectory be used for objects in a vacuum?

Yes, the parametric equation of trajectory with constant speed and weight gravity can be used for objects in a vacuum. In a vacuum, there is no air resistance, so the only force acting on the object is the weight due to gravity. This allows for simpler calculations and more accurate predictions of the object's trajectory.