Acceleration of water drops problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the treatment of raindrops as freely falling objects and estimating the speed at which they would strike the ground. The homework equations and the attempt at a solution are also mentioned, with the question of why the acceleration seems incorrect. The conversation also mentions the goal of making the iPHO and asks for book recommendations to prepare for olympiad problems.
abhikesbhat

Homework Statement

If the effects of air acting on falling raindrops are ignored, then we can treat raindrops as freely falling objects. Rain clouds are typically a few hundred feet up in the sky. Estimate the speed which raindrops would strike the ground if they were freely falling objects.

Homework Equations

vf^2=vo^2+2as
vf-TARGET
v0- 0
s- 200
a- -9.8

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I know the answer, but I don't understand something. What I did was put all my knowns into the equation. Then this is what it looks like.
vf^2= -3920
That is obviously unreal. Then I see that there is a problem with the acceleration. WHY? I thought acceleration of freely falling objects was -9.8.

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh and by the way this is not homework. My goal is to make the iPHO in my high school years. This problem is from University Physics. Which book do you pros recommend to prepare for olympiad problems? University Physics or Fundamental Physics or others?

s and a are both negative here.

If I'm not mistaken, the acceleration of freely falling objects near the surface of the Earth is 9.8 m/s2, so a would be 9.8, try plugging that into the equation. :smile:

1. What is the acceleration of water drops?

The acceleration of water drops is the rate at which the velocity of a water drop changes over time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared.

2. How is the acceleration of water drops calculated?

The acceleration of water drops can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of water drops?

The acceleration of water drops can be affected by factors such as air resistance, surface tension, and the drop's shape and size.

4. What is the relationship between acceleration and mass for water drops?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of a water drop increases, its acceleration decreases.

5. How is the acceleration of water drops related to gravity?

The acceleration of water drops is affected by the force of gravity. As a drop falls, it accelerates due to the force of gravity pulling it towards the ground. The acceleration of a falling water drop is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared, which is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.