Majorana particles and U(1) charges

In summary: If so, that would be pretty cool! Several things. First, this thread is almost a year and a half old. Did you really just drag it up out of the ether to tell me I'm wrong? Second, the charge conjugation that shows up in the definition of a Majorana field is pretty much defined to include all charges (conserved or not), not just EM.Third, while I already knew that Majorana fields can couple to axial currents, I'm not really clear on the physical implications of what you're suggesting. Are you saying that you have an axial interaction that has the opposite sign behavior under parity than would be expected just from the action of the parity operator on
krishna mohan
Hi...

Recently read that neutrinos can be Majorana particles only because they are singlets under the unbroken U(1) electromagnetic..

I can understand that...Majorana means that the particle is its own antiparticle..this can't happen if it is charged, as the antiparticle should have the opposite charge as the particle...

Does this mean that a Majorana particle cannot have any charge? Or is it fine for it to have charges under symmetries which are broken in our world?

Krishna

Physics news on Phys.org
Neutrinos carry weak isospin

krishna mohan said:
Hi...

Recently read that neutrinos can be Majorana particles only because they are singlets under the unbroken U(1) electromagnetic..

I can understand that...Majorana means that the particle is its own antiparticle..this can't happen if it is charged, as the antiparticle should have the opposite charge as the particle...

Does this mean that a Majorana particle cannot have any charge? Or is it fine for it to have charges under symmetries which are broken in our world?

Krishna

A Majorana mass term explicitly violates the conservation of any additive charge. Therefore, the only charges that can be carried by a Majorana particle are those belonging to symmetry groups that are broken by the same physics that generates the Majorana mass.

A Majorana mass term explicitly violates the conservation of any additive charge. Therefore, the only charges that can be carried by a Majorana particle are those belonging to symmetry groups that are broken by the same physics that generates the Majorana mass.

This is wrong, A Majorana mass term stops conservation of any charge that reverses under electromagnetic charge conjugation, but is just fine if stays the same under C, but reverses under P, I've been looking at such an axial force for 5+ years, and still believe it is possible.

BDOA said:
This is wrong, A Majorana mass term stops conservation of any charge that reverses under electromagnetic charge conjugation, but is just fine if stays the same under C, but reverses under P, I've been looking at such an axial force for 5+ years, and still believe it is possible.

Several things. First, this thread is almost a year and a half old. Did you really just drag it up out of the ether to tell me I'm wrong?

Second, the charge conjugation that shows up in the definition of a Majorana field is pretty much defined to include all charges (conserved or not), not just EM.

Third, while I already knew that Majorana fields can couple to axial currents, I'm not really clear on the physical implications of what you're suggesting. Are you saying that you have an axial interaction that has the opposite sign behavior under parity than would be expected just from the action of the parity operator on an axial current?

1. What are Majorana particles?

Majorana particles are fundamental particles that are their own antiparticles. This means that they have the same properties as their antiparticles, making them electrically neutral. They were first proposed by Italian physicist Ettore Majorana in 1937.

2. What is the significance of U(1) charges in relation to Majorana particles?

U(1) charges refer to the conserved quantum number associated with the electromagnetic force. Majorana particles have a U(1) charge of zero, which means they do not interact with the electromagnetic force. This makes them very interesting for studying other forces and interactions in physics.

3. How are Majorana particles being studied and observed?

Majorana particles are currently being studied in high-energy particle physics experiments, such as at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. Scientists are also exploring the possibility of observing Majorana particles in condensed matter systems, such as in superconductors.

4. Can Majorana particles be used in practical applications?

While Majorana particles have not yet been used in practical applications, scientists are researching their potential uses in quantum computing. Majorana particles have unique properties that could make them useful for building more stable and efficient quantum computers.

5. Are there any potential implications of the discovery of Majorana particles?

The discovery and study of Majorana particles could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions in the universe. It could also lead to advancements in technology, particularly in the field of quantum computing and information processing.