Preparing solution of NaCl by diluting

• Thread starter metelskiy
  • Start date
In summary, preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting is done to achieve a desired concentration for more accurate measurements in experiments or other applications. The materials needed include distilled water, a container, and a balance, and the formula for preparation is C1V1 = C2V2. The amount of NaCl needed can be calculated using the formula M1V1 = M2V2 or by converting from moles to grams. Precautions such as wearing protective gear, using calibrated equipment, and proper labeling and disposal should be taken when preparing the solution.
metelskiy
Hello, this is my first post on this forum.

I'm doing a prelab and the question asks:
Explain in details how you would prepare 100 mL of a 0.00200 M solution of NaCl by diluting 0.500M stock solution. The only glassware available for you to use are 1-mL, 5-mL, and 10-mL volumetric pipets and 100-mL volumetric flask.

I'm not sure what exactly I should explain. If someone could guide me through this, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
List steps - like taking a sample (what volume?) with a volumetric pipette, transferring it to a flask, filling up with water to the mark.

What is the purpose of preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting?

The purpose of preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting is to create a solution with a desired concentration or strength. This allows for more accurate and precise measurements when using the solution in experiments or other applications.

What materials are needed to prepare a solution of NaCl by diluting?

To prepare a solution of NaCl by diluting, you will need distilled water, a container for mixing, and a balance for measuring the amount of NaCl needed. You may also need a stir bar or stir rod to help dissolve the NaCl.

What is the formula for preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting?

The formula for preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 is the initial concentration of the stock solution, V1 is the initial volume of the stock solution, C2 is the desired concentration of the diluted solution, and V2 is the final volume of the diluted solution.

How do you calculate the amount of NaCl needed to prepare a solution by diluting?

To calculate the amount of NaCl needed, you can use the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial molarity of the stock solution, V1 is the initial volume of the stock solution, M2 is the desired molarity of the diluted solution, and V2 is the final volume of the diluted solution. You can also use the molar mass of NaCl to convert from moles to grams.

What precautions should be taken when preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting?

Some precautions to take when preparing a solution of NaCl by diluting include wearing gloves and goggles to protect yourself from any potential hazards, using a properly calibrated balance and measuring equipment, and properly labeling the solution with its concentration and any other relevant information. It is also important to properly dispose of any leftover solution and clean up any spills.