Buffer solution preparation

In summary, the conversation discusses the preparation of a buffer solution with a pH of 4.00 using acetic acid and sodium acetate. The sum of the concentration of the weak acid and its conjugate base is equal to 0.10 M. The person asks for the volumes of acetic acid and sodium acetate needed to create the buffer solution. The pKa of acetic acid is 4.76 and the information given includes the molar weights and percentages of both sodium acetate and acetic acid. The conversation also includes equations for calculating pH and concentration, which the person attempts to solve but is not sure if their solution is correct. The expert explains that the solution is on the right track, but there is a
Nanu Nana

Homework Statement

So I have prepare a buffer solution of 100 mL with ph of 4.00 .I have to use acetic acid and NaAc (sodium acetate ) to do so . The sum of the concentration of weak acid and its conjugate base is equal to 0.10 M
ca + cb = 0.10 M
How much volume of acetic acid and NaAc should I use to make buffersolution with ph of 4.00
Pka of acetic acid is = 4.76
Also information given :
NaAc (molar weight = 82.08g/mol ) and 100 % m
HAc (mw= 60.05) (density = 1.05 ) (100 % m)

Homework Equations

[/b]
ph = pka - log (HAc/Ac-)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/b]
I tried solving it but I'm not sure if its correct
4.00 =4.76 - log(HAc)/Ac-)
4.00-4.76 = - log ( Hac/ Ac-)
[HAc]/ [Ac-] = 10^0.76 = 5.754
we know ca +cb = 0.10 M x 0.1 L = 0.01 mol
nAc- + 5.754 x n Ac- = 0.01 mol
6.754 nAc- = 0.01 mol
so nAc- = 0.01/ 6.754 = 0.00148 mol nAc-
HAc = 0.01 - 0.00148 =0.008519 mol HAc
SO we have to use 0.01 mol of HAc and 0.001480 mol of NaAc
HAc
c=(100% x 10 x1.05 g/ml)/ 60.05 g/mol = 17.458 M
c= n/v
17.458 M= 0.01 mol/ V
V= 5.71 x10^-4 L => 0.57 ml We going to add 0.57 ml of HAc
and for NaAc = 0.001480 mol x Mw ( 82.08) = 0.121520 g NaAc
Is this correct ??Please explain if its not ??

Physics news on Phys.org
Nanu Nana said:
HAc = 0.01 - 0.00148 =0.008519 mol HAc
SO we have to use 0.01 mol of HAc

0.008519 is not 0.01.

But in general you are one the right track (and the mass of sodium acetate looks OK to me).

Borek said:
0.008519 is not 0.01.

But in general you are one the right track (and the mass of sodium acetate looks OK to me).
But my teacher used 0.01 mol for HAc last year . Thats why i 'm confused

He used the total mol

Not sure what you mean.

You have correctly calculated you need 0.008519 moles of the acid, but in the next line 0.008519 miraculously became 0.01 moles. Why?

Borek said:
Not sure what you mean.

You have correctly calculated you need 0.008519 moles of the acid, but in the next line 0.008519 miraculously became 0.01 moles. Why?
The following buffer problem is solved by my teacher .
300 ml ph =9.90 c= ca+cb
We're going to use NaHCO3 and NaOH
ph = 9.90 = pka - log nHCO3-/ n CO32-
pka = 10.30
nHCo3-/ n co32- = 2.51
n HCO3- +n co32- = 0.500 x 300 ml = 150 mmol
2.51 n co32- + n co32- = 150
nco32- = 150/ 3.51 =42.7 mmol
How much NahCo and NAoh do we have to use to make that buffer solution
His answer was 150 mmol NaHCO3 and 42.7 mmol NaOH
Our teacher wrote this answer . Why did he use total mol ( 150 mmol) for NaHCO3 why not 150-42.7 mmol ??

Last edited by a moderator:
These are different cases. In one you mix a conjugate acid and conjugate base, in the other you mix an acid with a base to neutralize it - and produce the conjugate base.

I guess your mistake is based on a common misunderstanding of the buffers. Can you tell what are the conjugate acid and base in each case?

Ac- is conjugate base and HAc weak acid
on second one
HC03- = acid
c032- = conjugate base

OK.

Where does the CO32- (base) come from?

Where does the Ac- (base) come from?

Do you see why these are different problems?

Yes Ac- came from Sodium acetate but on second case we added strong base NaoH . Naoh completely deprotonate weak acids .

So is it clear now why these questions are solved a bit differently, and why your solution is incorrect?

Yeah thank you very much

Likes Borek

What is a buffer solution and why is it important in scientific research?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is important in scientific research because it helps to maintain a stable pH, which is crucial for many biological and chemical reactions to occur properly.

What are the components of a buffer solution?

A buffer solution typically consists of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid. These components work together to maintain a stable pH by neutralizing any added acid or base.

How do you prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix a calculated amount of a weak acid or base with its conjugate base or acid, along with water. The amount of each component will depend on the desired pH and the concentrations of the components.

Can you adjust the pH of a buffer solution?

Yes, you can adjust the pH of a buffer solution by adding small amounts of acid or base, depending on whether you want to decrease or increase the pH. However, the buffer will still resist large changes in pH due to the presence of the weak acid and its conjugate base or weak base and its conjugate acid.

How long does a buffer solution remain effective?

A buffer solution will remain effective as long as the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base or weak base and its conjugate acid remain relatively constant. However, over time, the buffer components may degrade or react with other substances, decreasing their effectiveness.