Mathematica 5.0 notebook does not work in Mathematica 9.0

In summary, the conversation was about finding a notebook for calculating the concurrence of a 2-qubit state. The notebook was found on the Wolfram library, but it was only compatible with Mathematica 5.0. The person was looking for help in making the code work with the newest version of Mathematica. A suggestion was given to refer to a similar problem on Stack Overflow and try using the help system in version 9 to navigate the differences in code.
Qubix
1. I have managed to find the following notebook that would prove useful for me in calculating the concurrence of a 2-qubit state.

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/MathSource/6227/

2. The problem is that the code is for Mathematica 5.0, and try as I may, I could not make it work in Mathematica 9.0.

Can someone please help me make this code compatible with the newest version of Mathematica?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you open up that notebook from the Wolfram library, click to open up the cell containing the code in the notebook, position the cursor at the end of BlockMatrix, click the mouse and tap <f1> then the help system should open in version 9 showing

LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation` (Mathematica Compatibility Information)

and click on that to open up a long list of "how you did it in V5.2 versus how you do it now."

Try all that and see if you can get it to work.

1. Why is my Mathematica 5.0 notebook not working in Mathematica 9.0?

There are a few potential reasons for this. Firstly, Mathematica 9.0 may have changed certain functions or syntax that were used in your notebook, causing it to no longer run correctly. Additionally, Mathematica 9.0 may have deprecated certain functions or features that were used in your notebook. It is also possible that there are compatibility issues between the two versions of Mathematica.

2. Can I still access my Mathematica 5.0 notebook in Mathematica 9.0?

Yes, you should still be able to open and view your Mathematica 5.0 notebook in Mathematica 9.0. However, as mentioned in the previous answer, there may be issues with running the notebook due to changes in functions or compatibility issues.

3. Is there a way to convert my Mathematica 5.0 notebook to work in Mathematica 9.0?

Yes, there is a function called ConvertTo[] which can convert notebooks from previous versions of Mathematica to the current version. However, as mentioned before, there may still be issues with running the converted notebook due to changes in functions or compatibility issues.

4. Is it possible to run both Mathematica 5.0 and 9.0 on the same computer?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple versions of Mathematica installed on the same computer. However, it is important to note that there may be conflicts or compatibility issues when trying to run both versions simultaneously.

5. What can I do if I encounter errors when trying to run my Mathematica 5.0 notebook in Mathematica 9.0?

If you encounter errors when running your notebook in Mathematica 9.0, you can try using the Compatibility`CompatibilityErrors[] function to identify any compatibility issues between the two versions. You can also consult the documentation or seek help from the Mathematica community to troubleshoot and resolve any errors.