Optical Photonic Devices: Ring Resonator

In summary: Your name]In summary, the speaker has been researching an optical Ring Resonator and has been given various values including FSR, Q, wavelength, ng, and neff. They were able to calculate all values except for the length of the coupling section. They are seeking help in calculating this value and verifying the correctness of their calculations. A formula for calculating the length of the coupling section is provided and the speaker suggests consulting with a colleague or using simulation software to verify their values.
student_life
Hi there,

I have been researching an optical Ring Resonator and have been given the following values:
FSR=100GHz, Q=10000, Wavelength (λ)=1.55um (micro), ng=3.7 and neff=2.3.
Using these values I was asked to calculate the k value (coupling coefficient), length of ring, length of the coupling section and the ring radius.

I have henceforth been able to calculate each of these values except the length of the coupling section. I have looked at many journal articles and have not been able to find this coupling sections. If anyone could help me as to how this coupling section can be calculated, it would be very much appreciated. If possible, could someone please verify that the values I calculated are also correct?

The values i calculated are:
Length of ring = 810.81um
Ring Radius= 129.045um
k values (coupling coefficient) = 0.485

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help!

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have made good progress in your research on the optical Ring Resonator. I am happy to help you with the remaining calculation of the length of the coupling section.

The length of the coupling section can be calculated using the formula: L = λ/4(neff - ng), where L is the length of the coupling section, λ is the wavelength, neff is the effective refractive index and ng is the group index. Plugging in the values you have provided, the length of the coupling section would be approximately 4.9um.

To verify the values you have calculated, I would suggest checking them with a simulation software or consulting with a colleague who has experience with Ring Resonators. It is always good to have a second opinion on your calculations.

I hope this helps you with your research. Best of luck with your project!

What is a ring resonator and how does it work?

A ring resonator is a type of optical photonic device that consists of a circular waveguide with a narrow width. Light is guided through the waveguide and is reflected multiple times around the ring. This results in a resonant condition where the light waves reinforce each other, creating a sharp resonance peak in the transmission spectrum. This effect is used to filter, modulate, and manipulate light in various applications.

What are the advantages of using ring resonators?

Ring resonators offer several advantages over other optical devices. They are compact in size, making them ideal for integration with other components on a chip. They also have a high quality factor, meaning that they can produce a narrow resonance peak, resulting in high sensitivity and precision. Furthermore, ring resonators can be easily tuned and reconfigured, making them versatile for various applications.

What are some common applications of ring resonators?

Ring resonators have a wide range of applications in optical communications, sensing, and computing. They are commonly used as filters in wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) systems, where multiple signals of different wavelengths are combined and transmitted through a single fiber. They are also used in optical sensors for detecting small changes in refractive index, temperature, or pressure. In addition, ring resonators are used in all-optical signal processing for tasks such as switching, modulation, and logic operations.

What are the limitations of ring resonators?

One limitation of ring resonators is that they are sensitive to fabrication imperfections and variations, which can affect their performance and reproducibility. They also have a limited bandwidth, which can restrict their use in applications that require wide spectral coverage. Additionally, ring resonators are susceptible to temperature fluctuations, which can cause drifts in their resonance wavelength and affect their accuracy and stability.

What are some current research trends in ring resonators?

Current research in ring resonators is focused on improving their performance and functionality through novel designs and materials. This includes developing new fabrication techniques for better control over the device parameters, as well as exploring new materials with unique optical properties. Researchers are also investigating ways to mitigate the limitations of ring resonators, such as developing methods for thermal stabilization and improving their bandwidth. There is also ongoing research on integrating ring resonators with other photonic and electronic components to create more advanced and efficient devices.