1 dimensional crystal at rest, a nucleus emits gamma ray of energy E,

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantization of a one dimensional chain of mass points connected by springs and the potential for photon emission and recoil similar to the Mossbauer Effect. Determining the energy of the photon that leads to a 50% chance of no phonons being produced may not be straightforward in quantum physics. Giving an impulse to the last mass point of the classical crystal may excite all the vibrational modes of the crystal with some probability.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Say we have a one dimensional chain of N mass points separated by springs of spring constant k. This system can be quantized?

Let the quantized system above be at rest and let one of the end mass points emit a photon of energy E along the crystal axis. Will we get physics similar to he Mossbauer Effect where for small eneough energy E the photon emission would most likely cause the whole crystal to recoil with no phonons likely being produced?

Should it be straight forward quantum physics to determine the energy E of the photon that leads to a 50% chance of no phonons being produced?

If I give an impulse to the last mass point of the classical crystal above do I excite all the vibrational modes of the crystal?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
Say we have a one dimensional chain of N mass points separated by springs of spring constant k. This system can be quantized?

Let the quantized system above be at rest and let one of the end mass points emit a photon of energy E along the crystal axis. Will we get physics similar to he Mossbauer Effect where for small eneough energy E the photon emission would most likely cause the whole crystal to recoil with no phonons likely being produced?
Sure. Assuming your motion is restricted to one dimension, otherwise you have to care about rotation.

Should it be straight forward quantum physics to determine the energy E of the photon that leads to a 50% chance of no phonons being produced?
Probably not.

If I give an impulse to the last mass point of the classical crystal above do I excite all the vibrational modes of the crystal?
If the impulse is sufficient, I think so (all with some probability of course).

1. What is a 1 dimensional crystal at rest?

A 1 dimensional crystal at rest is a theoretical concept in physics that represents a line of atoms or particles that are arranged in a perfectly straight line and are not in motion.

2. What is a nucleus?

A nucleus is the central part of an atom that contains protons and neutrons. It is responsible for the stability and identity of an atom.

3. What is a gamma ray?

A gamma ray is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has a very high frequency and energy. It is often emitted by radioactive materials and nuclear reactions.

4. What is the energy E in this scenario?

The energy E represents the amount of energy that is emitted by the nucleus in the form of a gamma ray.

5. Why is it important to study this scenario of a 1 dimensional crystal and a nucleus emitting a gamma ray?

This scenario can help scientists better understand the behavior and interactions of particles at the smallest scale. It also has implications in fields such as nuclear physics and materials science.