Just Bought a Kindle - Science Anybody?

• Thread starter skycastlefish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the Kindle is a great device for people who spend a lot of time on the road, as it allows them to read PDFs without having to convert them.
skycastlefish
Just purchased a Kindle, and I'm pretty excited about it. I spend plenty of time on the road so I imagine the 'text to speach' audio function will translate Hawking's works rather well ;) Do any of you Kindle users have suggestions for any science related texts or blogs/publications?
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing I read was Carl Sagan's contact (I have a PDF - unfortunately its not in the kindle store).

I mostly use my kindle for reading PDFs, as very few textbooks are available in the kindle store. Amazon also let's you convert PDFs to kindle format, but for texts rich in diagrams and equations the process doesn't work as well.

Reading literature is very nice though.

If you're interested in scanning books you already own, check out www.diybookscanner.org

You don't need to built a book scanner out of anything more complicated than cardboard and ducktape to get good results, especially if you have good software for processing. There are even iPhone apps such as Page Scanner which will do the entire process on your phone, including conversion to PDF with OCR, cropping batches of pages, etc.

TaylorRatliff said:
I mostly use my kindle for reading PDFs.
I am interested in reading PDF's on an e-reader too. Do you have a regular Kindle, or a DX?

I understand the Kindle has a simple web browser. How is it at reading PDFs from the web? For example, from the arXiv?

Jack21222 said:
I understand the Kindle has a simple web browser. How is it at reading PDFs from the web? For example, from the arXiv?

I don't believe it can, it doesn't have a native PDF reader.
you email the PDF to Amazon who convert it to kindle format and send it to your device.
(or i think you can convert and transfer directly form a computer with a USB link)

mgb_phys said:
you email the PDF to Amazon who convert it to kindle format and send it to your device.
(or i think you can convert and transfer directly form a computer with a USB link)

Jack21222 said:

I have heard that the Kindle has trouble with any complex PDFs, including anything with math -- I don't know if that's trouble with the converter or something in the Kindle itself. I have also heard that the Kindle DX fixes this.

But if it's important to you, don't trust my secondhand knowledge...

mgb_phys said:
This is really old news. Kindle came out with a firmware upgrade sometime back that allowed one to access PDFs without having to convert them. To make things better, not only does it read PDF, but the latest firmware upgrade allows one to pan and zoom thereby allowing one to look closely into all those small graphs one might find in all these scientific texts.

Still nothing quite like sitting in a library, but we'll get there someday.

Isn't a kindle a stick, one of many, used to start a fire?

Why not a Ipad?

Yes - The kindle 3 and the DX can view PDF natively, sorry I first looked at the original to read PDFs on and didn't buy one because of this.

According to a Q+A on the amazon site
“While you can browse different websites, you would not be able to download any attachments. If for example you’d like to download the .pdf file while accessing your e-mail account, you’d have to save this attachment using your computer and transfer to Kindle using the USB cable."

iPads cost 4x as much, have much shorter battery life and are more difficult to read in bright light.

1. What is a Kindle and how does it relate to science?

A Kindle is an electronic reading device that allows you to store and read digital books, magazines, and other content. It can be used to access a wide range of scientific literature and resources, making it a valuable tool for scientists.

2. Can I access scientific journals and articles on my Kindle?

Yes, many scientific journals and articles are available in digital format and can be accessed on your Kindle. You can also subscribe to scientific magazines and publications through the Kindle store.

3. Are there any features on the Kindle that are specifically useful for scientists?

Yes, the Kindle has several features that can be beneficial for scientists. These include the ability to highlight and take notes on digital content, as well as the option to search for specific keywords or phrases within a book or article.

4. Can I use my Kindle to read scientific textbooks?

Yes, many scientific textbooks are available in digital format and can be read on your Kindle. Some textbooks may also have interactive features such as quizzes and multimedia content.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Kindle for scientific research?

While the Kindle can be a useful tool for accessing scientific literature and resources, it may not have all the features and capabilities of a computer or tablet. Additionally, some scientific publications may only be available in print or through a specialized platform, and may not be accessible on a Kindle.