Angular Velocity of Disk After 0.85 Revolutions

It should have been ∆x=R∆θ = (2.40)(0.85)(2π) = 4.056 m.In summary, the problem involves a disk with a radius of 2.40 cm and a mass of 1 kg being pulled by a string with a constant force of 0.36 Newtons. After the disk has been turned through 0.85 of a revolution, the angular velocity is found using conservation of work and kinetic energy. However, there were mistakes made in the calculations, specifically using degrees instead of radians and incorrectly converting ∆x, resulting in an incorrect answer.
dalitwil
Q: A disk of radius 2.40 cm and mass 1 kg is pulled by a string wrapped around its circumference with a constant force of 0.36 Newtons. What is the angular velocity of the disk to three decimal places after it has been turned through 0.85 of a revolution?

So I started by obtaining my degrees from the 0.85 revolutions (S=rθ). This equals 2.225 degrees.

Next I used ∆x=R∆θ
(2.40)*(2.225)
=5.340 radians

W=F∆x
(0.36)*(5.340)
=1.9224

Using conservation of work (W=∆K):
K=.5Iω^2 (where I of a disk=.5MR^2)

W=1.9924=.5(.5*1*2.4^2)ω^2
ω=1.15542

WRONG. I can't figure out where I am going wrong, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have some pretty heavy duty mistakes there.

First, do not use degrees at all whatsoever.

∆x=R∆θ At this point, you use degrees for ∆θ (wrong, should be radians) and solve for ∆x in radians (wrong, should be meters).

The answer with Work and Kinetic energy looks correct, but the reason they don't match is that you didn't convert ∆x correctly.

I would first check the units of the given values to ensure that they are all in the correct units (e.g. mass in kilograms, force in Newtons, radius in meters). Then, I would double check my calculations to make sure they are accurate. It is possible that a small error was made during the calculations, leading to the incorrect answer. I would also consider the possibility of any external factors that may have affected the experiment, such as friction or air resistance. If necessary, I would repeat the experiment or consult with a colleague to confirm the results.

1. What is the definition of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is usually measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

2. How is the angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions calculated?

The angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement, which is 0.85 revolutions, by the time it took to complete those revolutions.

3. Can the angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions be negative?

Yes, the angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions can be negative if the disk is rotating in the opposite direction. A positive angular velocity indicates counterclockwise rotation, while a negative angular velocity indicates clockwise rotation.

4. What factors affect the angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions?

The angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions can be affected by the initial velocity of the disk, any external forces acting on the disk, and the mass and distribution of the mass on the disk.

5. How does the angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions relate to its linear velocity?

The angular velocity of a disk after 0.85 revolutions is directly proportional to its linear velocity. This means that as the angular velocity increases, so does the linear velocity, and vice versa.