Meme Pas Fausse (Not even wrong-French style)

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary, Smolin's book came out in April 2007 in French translation and spent a good bit of time as #1 on the French amazon.com physics bestseller list. Woit's book is due to come out in French translation, officially 3 October 2007. The French version of Smolin's book is hardbound, but still obviously selling well.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Même Pas Fausse (Not even wrong--French style)

Smolin's book came out in April 2007 in French translation and spent a good bit of time as #1 on the French amazon.com physics bestseller list. I just looked today and it was #4 physics bestseller with a salesrank in all books of 2021.

Now Woit's book is due to come out in French translation, officially 3 October 2007.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/2100503936/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It is a paperback called MÊME PAS FAUSSE
Instead of doing the usual thing of putting out hardcover first and then mass market paperback a year or so later, they are going direct for the mass market with a paperback "Poche" edition.

Interestingly, the French version of Smolin's book is hardbound, but still obviously selling well. Here's the amazon.com page on that one.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/2100507028/?tag=pfamazon01-20
A nice plus for Smolin's RIEN VA PLUS is that it has a preface by famous French mathematician Alain Connes---father of Noncommutative Geometry.

As a comparison benchmark, so that Smolin salesrank 2021 means something, the French version of Brian Greene Fabric came out September 2005 (just two years ago) in hardcover, so still fairly recent, and has salesrank 15,127 at the moment
http://www.amazon.com/dp/2221095553/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Brian Greene Elegant came out February 2005 in paperback and has rank 23,190
http://www.amazon.com/dp/2070302806/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi marcus,

Thanks for noticing this. Believe it or not, this is the first I've heard about this. I knew that rights to the book had been sold to Dunod, but hadn't heard anything at all from them since they bought the rights. I thought part of the deal was that I was supposed to be allowed to check the translation. I guess not, if it's coming out in a couple weeks. In this case, the author definitely bears no responsibility for whatever marketing materials they use or put on the book cover..

I think the timing is excellent, also their decision to open with a paperback edition instead of the usual first-hard then-soft practice. Best of luck with the new printing!

1. What is the meaning of "Meme Pas Fausse" or "Not even wrong" in French?

"Meme Pas Fausse" is a French phrase that translates to "Not even wrong" in English. It is often used to describe a statement or argument that is so illogical or nonsensical that it cannot even be considered incorrect, as it does not adhere to any logical or factual standards.

2. Where did the phrase "Not even wrong" originate from?

The phrase "Not even wrong" was coined by the Austrian physicist Wolfgang Pauli, who used it to criticize a scientific paper that contained an incorrect argument. It has since become a popular phrase in the scientific community to describe statements or theories that are not based on any evidence or reasoning.

3. Can "Meme Pas Fausse" or "Not even wrong" be used in a positive context?

While the phrase is often used to criticize flawed arguments, it can also be used in a positive context to describe a novel or unconventional idea that challenges traditional thinking. In these cases, it is used to convey the idea that the new concept may not be completely correct, but it has potential to lead to new discoveries.

4. How is "Meme Pas Fausse" or "Not even wrong" relevant to scientific research?

In scientific research, it is important to distinguish between hypotheses and theories that are based on evidence and those that are not. The phrase "Not even wrong" highlights the importance of using logical and empirical methods in scientific investigations, rather than relying on untested or baseless claims.

5. Is there an equivalent phrase to "Meme Pas Fausse" or "Not even wrong" in other languages?

Yes, there are similar phrases in different languages that convey the same idea. For example, in German, the phrase "nicht einmal falsch" translates to "Not even wrong." In English, the phrase "not even false" is also used in a similar context.