[Stellar Structure] White Dwarves

• Thread starter ajclarke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the task at hand is to calculate the Electron-Degeneracy Pressure as a fraction of the total pressure in a white dwarf, given the density and temperature. The equation used for this calculation is (\frac{1}{5m_{e}}) (\frac{3h^3}{8 \pi})^{2/3} (\frac{\rho}{\mu_{e}M_{H}})^{5/3}. The calculated value for the Electron-Degeneracy Pressure is 3.383 \times 10^{61} \textrm{Pa}. The next step is to calculate the Thermal Pressure using the given density and temperature, which can be done using the equation P=\frac{\rho k
ajclarke

Homework Statement

Have to calculate the Electron-Degeneracy Pressure as a fraction of the total pressure in a white dwarf. Given Density and Temperature.

Homework Equations

[tex] (\frac{1}{5m_{e}}) (\frac{3h^3}{8 \pi})^{2/3} (\frac{\rho}{\mu_{e}M_{H}})^{5/3} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the Electron-Degeneracy Pressure as:

[tex]3.383 \times 10^{61} \textrm{Pa} [/tex]

Now I need to calculate the Thermal Pressure using the density and temperature so I can find this fraction but I can't for the life of me think how to do it.

Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shameless bump, could really use some help with this.

I have tried a bit more myself. Using:

[tex]P=\frac{\rho k T}{\mu} = \frac{1.3807 /times 10^{-23} \times 3 \times 10^6 \times 2 \times 10^7 \times 3}{4}=6.213 \times 10^{-10}[/tex]

Using values given above, and taking mu as being 4/3 for pure helium. However this seems very very small, given that atm P = 100KPa (approx)

ALso if I then finish the question of the fractional degenerate pressure, being such a large number gives it as 1.

Thanks in advance.

Last ditch attempt before It has to be handed in.

What is a white dwarf?

A white dwarf is a type of star that has reached the end of its life and has exhausted all of its nuclear fuel. It is a dense, compact star that is about the size of Earth but has a mass similar to that of the Sun.

How are white dwarfs formed?

White dwarfs are formed when a star with a mass less than 8 times that of the Sun runs out of nuclear fuel. As the star's core collapses, the outer layers are blown off, leaving behind a hot, dense core that eventually cools and becomes a white dwarf.

What is the maximum mass of a white dwarf?

The maximum mass of a white dwarf is about 1.4 times the mass of the Sun, also known as the Chandrasekhar limit. Beyond this mass, the star cannot support itself against its own gravity and will either collapse into a neutron star or explode in a supernova.

How do we study white dwarfs?

We study white dwarfs by observing their light and using spectroscopy to analyze their composition. We can also study their properties, such as temperature and mass, by measuring their luminosity and gravitational effects on nearby objects.

What is the future of a white dwarf?

As a white dwarf cools, it will become dimmer and eventually fade into a black dwarf, which is a cold, inert object. This process can take billions of years. However, if the white dwarf is in a binary system, it may continue to accrete material from its companion star, potentially leading to a supernova explosion.