Calculating Initial Velocity of Object Connected to Wall by Spring

In summary, the question states that a particle of mass m is resting on a rough horizontal plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 1/4. It is connected to a light elastic string with a spring constant k. The string is just taut and the particle is projected directly away from P. The goal is to find the initial speed v that the particle needs in order to return to its initial position. The answer does not depend on the coefficient of kinetic friction or the spring constant, but rather on the impulse given to the particle. The initial kinetic energy is equal to the elastic potential energy and the work done by friction, and the maximum extension can be calculated by setting the equations for energy at maximum extension and at 0 equal to each
plutonium
an object is connected to the wall through a spring and is resting at its equilibrium position. its mass is M and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 1/4. the object is flicked so that it will return to its original position (not instantly, but its oscillation is damped slowly).

what is the object's initial velocity? (you have to express it in terms of the other variables)

Physics news on Phys.org
plutonium said:
an object is connected to the wall through a spring and is resting at its equilibrium position. its mass is M and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 1/4. the object is flicked so that it will return to its original position (not instantly, but its oscillation is damped slowly).

what is the object's initial velocity? (you have to express it in terms of the other variables)
Your question is not clear.

I assume the object is resting on a horizontal surface and the spring is connected to the wall horizontally. The object is then given a brief impulse that causes it to move away from the wall.

If that is your question, the initial velocity does not depend on the co-efficient of kinetic friction or the spring. The answer to your question depends on the impulse.

[tex]v = F\Delta t/M[/tex]

AM

ok here's the exact question:

a particle of mass m rests upon a rought horizontal plane with a coefficient kinetic friction of mu = 1/4 and is connected by a light elastic string with spring constant k. if the string is just taut find the initial speed, v, that the particle needs if it is projected directly away from P such that it just returns to its initial position.

[tex]a) g\sqrt{\frac{m}{2k}}
b) g\sqrt{\frac{6m}{k}}
c) g\sqrt{\frac{2m}{k}}
d) g\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}
e) g\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

btw, is latex unique to this forum, or is there a program that i can download to make it work with ms word?

Last edited:
plutonium said:
ok here's the exact question:

a particle of mass m rests upon a rought horizontal plane with a coefficient kinetic friction of mu = 1/4 and is connected by a light elastic string with spring constant k. if the string is just taut find the initial speed, v, that the particle needs if it is projected directly away from P such that it just returns to its initial position.

[tex]a) g\sqrt{\frac{m}{2k}}
b) g\sqrt{\frac{6m}{k}}
c) g\sqrt{\frac{2m}{k}}
d) g\sqrt{\frac{m}{k}}
e) g\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
Now it makes sense.

How much energy does it have with initial speed v0?

How much energy does it lose in traveling a distance x?

How is the potential energy at maximum extension related to the initial Kinetic energy?

I don't think any of those answers is right

AM

How much energy does it have with initial speed v0?
[tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2[/tex]

How much energy does it lose in traveling a distance x?
How is the potential energy at maximum extension related to the initial Kinetic energy?
well, the kinetic energy is converted into elastic potential and work done by friction.
[tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2 = \frac{1}{2} kx^2 + \frac{mg}{4} x [/tex]

then as it reaches its max stretch, it returns to its equilibrium point it turns into this:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} kx^2 = \frac{1}{2} mv^2 + \frac{mg}{4} x [/tex]
(x1 and x2 should be the same)

but it will then go the other way and keep repeating itself until it loses all its initial kinetic energy to friction, so i thought it would be
[tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2 = \frac{mg}{4} x [/tex]
so wouldn't x in this case be the total distance (not displacement as it would be 0) it travels during the motion? how would i figure that out?

Last edited:
MASSIVE HINT: Energy is an undamped SHM system is conserved. I agree with AM, in my opinion non of the given answers are correct.

~H

plutonium said:
but it will then go the other way and keep repeating itself until it loses all its initial kinetic energy to friction, so i thought it would be
[tex]\frac{1}{2} mv^2 = \frac{mg}{4} x [/tex]
so wouldn't x in this case be the total distance (not displacement as it would be 0) it travels during the motion?
Correct. Since we know that it loses the rest of its energy in moving back to the equilibrium position, you can figure out the potential energy of the spring at maximum extension and from that work out the maximum extension.

Set out the equations that describe the energy of the system at maximum extension and again at 0. Then work out the solution for v.

AM

Last edited:
Don't I have to work out the entire motion? Or can I just calculate it by assuming it moves back to its equilibrium position after just one extention?

plutonium said:
... can I just calculate it by assuming it moves back to its equilibrium position after just one extention?
Isn't that the whole motion?

AM

By whole motion, I meant it vibrates for a while (hence covering more distance) before coming to a stop at its starting point. Wouldn't the negative work done by friction change as the mass moves vibrate more?

plutonium said:
By whole motion, I meant it vibrates for a while (hence covering more distance) before coming to a stop at its starting point. Wouldn't the negative work done by friction change as the mass moves vibrate more?
The question says it does half a cycle only. Out and back. No vibration. What does the work done by friction depend on?

AM

What is the formula for calculating initial velocity of an object connected to a wall by a spring?

The formula for calculating initial velocity (v0) of an object connected to a wall by a spring is v0 = -kx/m, where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement from equilibrium, and m is the mass of the object.

How do you determine the spring constant (k) in the equation for initial velocity?

The spring constant can be determined by conducting an experiment where the displacement of the object from equilibrium and the corresponding force exerted by the spring are measured. The spring constant (k) is then calculated by dividing the force by the displacement.

Can the initial velocity be negative?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative. A negative initial velocity indicates that the object is moving in the direction opposite to the spring's direction of compression.

How does the mass of the object affect the initial velocity?

The mass of the object affects the initial velocity by changing the ratio of the spring force to the object's inertia. A larger mass will result in a smaller initial velocity, and vice versa.

Is the initial velocity affected by the angle of the spring?

No, the initial velocity is not affected by the angle of the spring. The initial velocity is only affected by the spring constant, displacement, and mass of the object.