Easy rotational motion question?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a heavy ball connected to a light rope and undergoing rotation. The problem provides information about the radius and acceleration at a specific time, but there is not enough information to solve it. The participants discuss the possibility of acceleration being constant or varied, and the potential impact of the ball starting from rest.
kudos213
Hey everyone,

Okay, so I'm just not sure how to solve this problem exactly and could use some kind advice.

A heavy ball is connected on the end of a light rope and undergoing rotation witha radius of X, let's say. At t= 19.3s a=10.2m/s^2. At t=7.4s what was the acceleration.

How does one go about solving this problem? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the entirety of the problem? There isn't enough information as it currently stands to solve this.

honestly I don't remember exactly what the problem stated...but I know there wasn't much more info...what info would be needed to solve this?

why do you say that daveb?

I say that because the problem doesn't state whether acceleration is constant (magnitude) or varied.

what if it said it started from rest? And would it be fair to say that the acceleration is NOT constant since it's asking for the acceleration at some earlier point in time? This question has baffled me a bit...

Last edited:

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point, or axis. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects such as wheels, planets, and spinning tops.

2. What is the difference between linear and rotational motion?

The main difference between linear and rotational motion is the axis of rotation. In linear motion, the object moves along a straight line, while in rotational motion, the object moves around a fixed point. Additionally, linear motion involves translational movement, while rotational motion involves circular movement.

3. What is torque and how is it related to rotational motion?

Torque is the measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational motion, torque is responsible for the change in the object's angular velocity. The greater the torque, the faster the object will rotate.

4. What is angular velocity and how is it calculated?

Angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular displacement over time. It is measured in radians per second. The formula for calculating angular velocity is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

5. Can an object have both linear and rotational motion?

Yes, an object can have both linear and rotational motion at the same time. This is known as a combination of translational and rotational motion. An example of this is a spinning top while moving across a surface.