General Quantization of Motion in Circular Orbits

In summary, the conversation revolved around obtaining a general quantization of motion in circular orbits by combining equations for potential energy, angular momentum, and kinetic and potential energies. The resulting equation for energy was En= 3/2*(n4/3ℏ4/3 F02/3+F02/3 n2/3 ℏ2/3)/m1/3, and the next step discussed was using the relation ∆E=hc/λ to calculate the spectrum. However, it was unclear what would trigger the need for this spectrum calculation.
wawitz
For this question, I have to obtain a general quantization of motion in circular orbits by combining the equations (Where U(r) is potential energy):
(mv2)/r= |(dU(r))/dr|

With the angular momentum quantization of: mvr= nℏ

Then use this to calculate the spectrum for circular motion in a potential of U = F0r.

After combining these equations, along with E = Ke + Pe (for kinetic and potential energies), I obtained this equation:
En= 3/2*(n4/34/3 F02/3+F02/3 n2/32/3)/m1/3

The next step confuses me. To obtain a spectrum, I would have to use the relation ∆E=hc/λ; however this requires a difference of energies for ΔE. Would this mean setting up an equation for En+1 – En, using the equation I found for En?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Witz and welcome to PF. There is a pretty strict rule here that you make use of the template. In this case even I can see the usefulness: you have to obtain a general quantization. That's what you have done, so you are finished.

Why contnue? What is triggering the spectrum adventure ?
(You have an idea, why not follow up on it?)

1. What is quantization of motion in circular orbits?

Quantization of motion in circular orbits refers to the idea that the motion of particles in circular orbits is not continuous, but rather occurs in discrete energy levels. This concept was first introduced by Niels Bohr in his model of the atom.

2. How does quantization of motion in circular orbits relate to angular momentum?

Quantization of motion in circular orbits is closely related to the concept of angular momentum. In circular motion, the angular momentum of a particle is quantized, meaning it can only have discrete values instead of a continuous range of values. This is due to the constraints of circular motion and the wave-like behavior of particles.

3. What are the implications of quantization of motion in circular orbits?

The implications of quantization of motion in circular orbits are significant in the fields of atomic and subatomic physics. It helps explain the stability of atoms and the discrete energy levels observed in atomic spectra. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles on a microscopic scale.

4. Can quantization of motion in circular orbits be observed in everyday life?

No, quantization of motion in circular orbits is a concept that is only observed on a microscopic scale in the realm of atoms and subatomic particles. It is not observable in everyday life.

5. How does quantization of motion in circular orbits differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the motion of particles is described as continuous and deterministic. However, in the quantum realm, the motion of particles is described as being probabilistic and occurring in discrete energy levels. This difference is due to the principles of quantization and the wave-like behavior of particles at a microscopic level.