Raising and lowering operators / spherical harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of raising and lowering operators in the context of spherical harmonics. The formula for L_{^+_-} is given, along with the question of how to use it to obtain Y_l^{m{^+_-}1}. It is explained that hbar is just a constant and does not have any significance in the spherical harmonics. The conversation also mentions finding the general constant for applying L_{^+_-} to Y^l_m.
nowits
This isn't exactly a part of any problem, but a part of a generic principle. I don't understand the use of raising and lowering operators.

[tex]L_{^+_-}=\hbar e^{^+_- i l \phi}({^+_-}\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}+ i cot \theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \phi})[/tex]

So how does one use [tex]L_{^+_-}Y_l^m[/tex] to gain [tex]Y_l^{m{^+_-}1}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
you can use this definition to apply it to the general expression for the spherical harmonics. The general expression for an arbitrarty spherical harmonics can be found either in your textbook, or google it.

Do you mean that I simply:
[tex]\hbar e^{^+_- i l \phi}({^+_-}\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \theta}+ i cot \theta \frac{\partial Y}{\partial \phi})[/tex]

But what happens to hbar? There isn't supposed to be any hbars in Y's?

it is just a constant..

Did you get it? [tex] \hbar [/tex] is only a multiplcative constant, same as [tex]e^{^+_- i l \phi}[/tex]. So you find out what the derivative operators does on the general spherical harmonic.

nowits said:
Do you mean that I simply:
[tex]\hbar e^{^+_- i l \phi}({^+_-}\frac{\partial Y}{\partial \theta}+ i cot \theta \frac{\partial Y}{\partial \phi})[/tex]

But what happens to hbar? There isn't supposed to be any hbars in Y's?

applying, say [itex] L_+ Y^l_m [/itex] does not give [itex] Y^l_{m+1} [/itex], it gives a constant times [itex] Y^l_{m+1} [/itex]. You may find the general constant in eq 4.121 of Griffiths, for example.

Yes, I think I understand it now.

Thank you both.

1. What are raising and lowering operators?

Raising and lowering operators are mathematical tools commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of quantum systems. They are operators that act on quantum states and change their quantum numbers, such as energy or angular momentum, in a predictable way.

2. How do raising and lowering operators work?

Raising and lowering operators work by changing the state of a quantum system from one state to another that has a higher or lower value of a specific quantum number. This is done by multiplying the state by a specific mathematical function that is dependent on the quantum number being changed.

3. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that describe the angular dependence of wavefunctions in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in quantum mechanics to represent the spatial distribution of electrons in an atom or molecule.

4. How are raising and lowering operators related to spherical harmonics?

Raising and lowering operators are closely related to spherical harmonics because they are used to change the quantum numbers that are associated with the angular dependence of wavefunctions. By applying raising and lowering operators to spherical harmonics, one can create a complete set of functions that describe the spatial distribution of electrons in an atom or molecule.

5. What are the applications of raising and lowering operators and spherical harmonics?

Raising and lowering operators and spherical harmonics have many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules, the properties of particles in quantum field theory, and the behavior of light in optical systems. They are also used in mathematical physics to solve differential equations and to study symmetries in physical systems.