The synchronization procedure

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of synchronizing a clock at the origin of a frame with two other clocks placed at x = -X and x = X. The method involves fixing the two clocks to show t = x/c and starting them with a light flash from the origin clock. However, it is pointed out that this method neglects the delay in receiving information about the starting of the clocks, and it is suggested that the two clocks should be fixed for t = 2x/c. The synchronization is explained as taking into account the light travel time. Another consideration is brought up, questioning the validity of choosing a reference frame and discussing the effects of light propagation delays on synchronization.
ehj
The idea is that you have a clock at the origin of some frame O. In order to synchronize this clock with 2 other clocks placed at x = -X and x = X (one dimensional) these two clocks are fixed to show the time t = x/c and they start ticking when they receive a light flash from when the clock at the origin when it is started.
My question then is, doesn't this neglect the fact that an observer at the origin O needs to wait for the information about the "starting" of the clocks at x = -X and x = X? Won't these two clocks be delayed with t = x/c ? I would think you would need to fix the two clocks for times given by t = 2x/c?
I'm probably wrong, so please explain in what way the clocks are synchronized.

Physics news on Phys.org
ehj said:
The idea is that you have a clock at the origin of some frame O. In order to synchronize this clock with 2 other clocks placed at x = -X and x = X (one dimensional) these two clocks are fixed to show the time t = x/c and they start ticking when they receive a light flash from when the clock at the origin when it is started.
My question then is, doesn't this neglect the fact that an observer at the origin O needs to wait for the information about the "starting" of the clocks at x = -X and x = X? Won't these two clocks be delayed with t = x/c ? I would think you would need to fix the two clocks for times given by t = 2x/c?

Yes, you have to allow for light propagation delays.

Say we send a radar signal from the origin to the +x clock and the return signals takes 2 seconds for the round trip then we assume the distance x is 1 light second. We pause both clocks and set the +x clock to +1 seconds and the clock at the origin to 0 seconds. We then start the origin clock and simultaneously send a start signal to the +x clock which is preset at 1 seconds. When the start signal arrives at the +x clock and starts it ticking, both the +x clock and the clock at the origin read 1 second and are syncronised.

So when assigning a coordinate to an event, you must take the delay into consideration?
Let's say that an observer at the origin of a frame observes two clocks, one at the distance of X and another at the distance 2X for instance. If the observer (stationary to the clocks) observes the watches as being synchronized, they in reality aren't because the signal he sees is delayed, and therefore won't have same time coordinates?

No, in reality they ARE (and by reality I mean HIS reference frame).

There is no REALITY reference frame, you are required to choose one. In his reference frame they are synched, but in both clocks ref frames they are not. Who is right? Is that even a valid question to ask? I don't think so.

You are required to choose a reference frame, and then only talk about observables in that frame.

ehj said:
So when assigning a coordinate to an event, you must take the delay into consideration?
Absolutely. Assuming, of course, that the "event" you would like to assign coordinates to is the emission of the light. (Reception of the light can also be an event.)

Let's say that an observer at the origin of a frame observes two clocks, one at the distance of X and another at the distance 2X for instance. If the observer (stationary to the clocks) observes the watches as being synchronized, they in reality aren't because the signal he sees is delayed, and therefore won't have same time coordinates?
Right. In order to interpret the raw "observations" you must always take the light travel time into account.

Thanks doc, you answered my question!

synchronization

ehj said:

Is there something wrong when I consider a ticking clock C(0) located at the origin O of I and a stopped clock C(x) located at the point M(x) and fixed to diplay a t=x/c time. A light signal starts from O towsrds clock C(x) starting it. I think they are synchronized a la Einstein.

ehj said:
There's nothing wrong with setting the clocks fixed at t = x/c and triggering them to start when a light signal from the clock at the origin (emitted at t = 0) reaches them. They will be perfectly synchronized in the usual manner. (Don't set them to to t = 2x/c.) The observer at the origin doesn't have to wait for any information from the clocks--it's all arranged in advance; light travel time has already been accounted for. (If you set them at t = 2x/c, then the clocks would merely appear synchronized with the clock at the origin from the view of the observer at the origin--but he knows better! He knows that to interpret what he sees, he must take into account light travel time.)

bernhard.rothenstein said:
Is there something wrong when I consider a ticking clock C(0) located at the origin O of I and a stopped clock C(x) located at the point M(x) and fixed to diplay a t=x/c time. A light signal starts from O towsrds clock C(x) starting it. I think they are synchronized a la Einstein.
I agree.

1. What is "The synchronization procedure"?

The synchronization procedure is a method used in various fields of science, such as computer science, biology, and physics, to ensure that two or more systems or processes are operating in coordination with each other. It involves matching the timing and behavior of different systems to achieve a desired outcome or result.

2. Why is synchronization important in scientific research?

Synchronization is important in scientific research because it allows for the accurate measurement and observation of systems that are dependent on timing or coordination. It also enables researchers to control and manipulate the behavior of systems for experimental purposes.

3. What are some common techniques used in the synchronization procedure?

Some common techniques used in the synchronization procedure include clock synchronization, phase synchronization, and frequency synchronization. These techniques involve adjusting the timing and behavior of systems to align with each other.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to the synchronization procedure?

Yes, there can be challenges and limitations to the synchronization procedure. One challenge is that it can be difficult to achieve perfect synchronization between systems due to factors such as noise and variability. Additionally, some systems may not be able to synchronize due to their inherent differences or limitations.

5. How is the synchronization procedure used in real-world applications?

The synchronization procedure is used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as wireless communication, network synchronization, and brain imaging. It is also used in everyday technology, such as GPS systems, to ensure accurate timing and coordination between devices.