How Do You Calculate Average Back EMF in a Rotating Coil?

In summary: The brush-and-commutator arrangement allows the coil to rotate smoothly. The sin(theta) term will be modified because of this. 3. Yes, I have taken calculus. The derivative of cosine is d (cos wt) / dt ?so, -w sin wt ?Why are you differentiating? A derivative gives you an instantaneous rate of change.
marpple
A motor with a brush-and-commutator arrangement has a circular coil with radius 2.5 cm and 150 turns of wire. The magnetic field has magnitude 0.06 T and the coil rotates at 440 rev/min.What is the average back emf?

i have tried this

Flux=Magnetix Field*Area
Flux=0.06*pi*r^2
Here r=2.5cm=2.5*10^-2m
Avarage Emf=N*Flux/Time
Time=1/Speed
Speed=440 rpm=440/60=7.3333
Average Emf=Flux*150/Time

so average Emf = 0.06*phi*r^2*150 / 0.136363 = 0.1295 V

but, my answer is wrong..

please advise!

Physics news on Phys.org
help please... :cry:

marpple said:
A motor with a brush-and-commutator arrangement has a circular coil with radius 2.5 cm and 150 turns of wire. The magnetic field has magnitude 0.06 T and the coil rotates at 440 rev/min.What is the average back emf?

i have tried this

Flux=Magnetix Field*Area
Flux=0.06*pi*r^2
Here r=2.5cm=2.5*10^-2m
Avarage Emf=N*Flux/Time
Time=1/Speed
Speed=440 rpm=440/60=7.3333
Average Emf=Flux*150/Time

so average Emf = 0.06*phi*r^2*150 / 0.136363 = 0.1295 V

but, my answer is wrong..

please advise!

Your "time" is the time, in seconds, for one complete revolution of the coil.

Note, however, that flux does not simply increase from zero to 0.06*pi*r^2 during this time. You'll have to think more carefully about how the flux varies during a revolution of the coil.

p.s.
Welcome to PF :smile:

Redbelly98 said:
Your "time" is the time, in seconds, for one complete revolution of the coil.

Note, however, that flux does not simply increase from zero to 0.06*pi*r^2 during this time. You'll have to think more carefully about how the flux varies during a revolution of the coil.

why it's not increase from zero to 0.06*pi*r^2 ?
i can't think other method :(

think about the projection of the coil onto a plane perp to mag field, this feeds into the area used to calculate flux & so the instantaneous emf

then consider the average of a sinuosoid...

lanedance said:
think about the projection of the coil onto a plane perp to mag field, this feeds into the area used to calculate flux & so the instantaneous emf

Another way to think about it, flux depends on the angle between the rotating coil and the magnetic field. It may help for you to draw a figure, or look at a figure in your textbook.

Redbelly98 said:
Another way to think about it, flux depends on the angle between the rotating coil and the magnetic field. It may help for you to draw a figure, or look at a figure in your textbook.

the angle is 90 degree rite??

so,

Emf = NBA.sin(theta).w

after did the calculation, i ended up Emf = 0.81 V

but, my answer is also wrong...

the angle is continuously changing with time at a constant rate. Need to think how this affects EMF - it will be a function of time. Then how to average the produced EMF

so - peak emf is at 90deg, but the angle varies with time

lanedance said:
the angle is continuously changing with time at a constant rate. Need to think how this affects EMF - it will be a function of time. Then how to average the produced EMF

so - peak emf is at 90deg, but the angle varies with time

i don't understand :cry:

you've written the EMF is

EMF = N.B.A.cos(theta)

theta is the angle bewteen a vector perpindicluar to the coil plane & field. As the coil is rotating theta varies linearly with t

so let
theta(t) = w.t

where, w is the angular frequency

so as a function of t
EMF(t) = N.B.A.cos(w.t)

so when you average over a full period of rotation, what is the average of the cos(w.t) term?

lanedance said:
you've written the EMF is

EMF = N.B.A.cos(theta)

theta is the angle bewteen a vector perpindicluar to the coil plane & field. As the coil is rotating theta varies linearly with t

so let
theta(t) = w.t

where, w is the angular frequency

so as a function of t
EMF(t) = N.B.A.cos(w.t)

so when you average over a full period of rotation, what is the average of the cos(w.t) term?

is it..

d (cos wt) / dt ?

so, -w sin wt ?

why are you differentiating? a derivative gives you an instantaneous rate of change

what gives you an average, do you know about rms?

lanedance said:
why are you differentiating? a derivative gives you an instantaneous rate of change

what gives you an average, do you know about rms?

rms?
i just how to find Vmax with rms..
Vrms = 0.707 * Vo
the rest i know nothing :shy:

Last edited:
please help me...
i'm so clueless...
and really don't know how to do.. :cry::cry::cry:

marpple said:
the angle is 90 degree rite??
No, the angle is changing, since the magnet is rotating. Sometimes it is 90 degrees, but it keeps changing.

so,

Emf = NBA.sin(theta).w
That's almost right. Here are a few questions to get on track:

1. What units must w have in this equation?
2. What does the brush-and-commutator do? (This will modify the sin(theta) term somewhat.)
3. Have you taken calculus yet?

sorry i have re-read the posting and nee to make some corrections, so summarising where we are at:

The flus through the coil is given by
[tex]\Phi = NBACos(wt)[/tex]

Then the induced EMF is by the reat of change of flux
[tex]EMF= -\frac{d \Phi}{dt} = -\frac{d}{dt} (NBA.Cos(\omega t)) = \omega NBA.Sin(\omega t) [/tex]

you were correct to differentiate, do you know what [tex](\omega t) [/tex] is?

Now you must find the average of the EMF. As mentioned by Redbelly the commutator arrangement will change the EMF slightly.

Think about what the sin function look like:
- It starts at 0, rises to 1 then drops back to 0
- then drops to -1 then and rise back to 0, then repeats
So the EMF will continuosly vary from positive to negative unless we do soemthing about it. Think about the affect of the commutator and brush arrangement here as Redbelly suggested.

hi all..
i managed to do this..
thanks a lot for your explanations...

That's almost right. Here are a few questions to get on track:

1. What units must w have in this equation?
2. What does the brush-and-commutator do? (This will modify the sin(theta) term somewhat.)
3. Have you taken calculus yet?

for point 2
do you mean that the sin wave will be rectified because of the use of commutator?
then the average value will be 1/%pi of the maximum value.

Hi, welcome to PF :smile:

Z_Artemis said:
for point 2
do you mean that the sin wave will be rectified because of the use of commutator?
Yes, exactly.

then the average value will be 1/%pi of the maximum value.
Hmmm, not quite ... care to recheck your calculation?

1. What is back emf?

Back emf, or electromotive force, is the voltage generated in a coil or conductor due to a changing magnetic field. It is often referred to as the "counter electromotive force" because it opposes the current flow in the circuit.

2. Why is it important to calculate the average back emf?

Calculating the average back emf is important in understanding and analyzing the behavior of an electrical circuit. It can help determine the power dissipation and efficiency of the circuit, and also aid in selecting the appropriate components for the circuit design.

3. How do you find the average back emf in a circuit?

To find the average back emf, you can use the formula: E = -NΔΦ/Δt, where E is the average back emf, N is the number of turns in the coil, ΔΦ is the change in magnetic flux, and Δt is the time interval. Alternatively, you can use a voltmeter to measure the voltage across the coil and then divide it by the number of turns in the coil.

4. What factors affect the average back emf in a circuit?

The average back emf in a circuit is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the rate of change of magnetic flux, and the time interval over which the change occurs. It is also influenced by the inductance and resistance of the circuit.

5. How does the concept of back emf apply in real-world applications?

Back emf is a crucial concept in the design and operation of electrical devices such as motors, generators, and transformers. It helps in controlling the speed and torque of motors, prevents damage to circuits due to sudden changes in current, and plays a role in the efficiency of power transmission in electrical grids.