What is the Tension of Brane?

• Thread starter Abolhassan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: Brian Greene. In summary, p branes can constrain particles in the same way as the cosmological constant, but they also have the ability to grip open string end points.
Abolhassan
Hi
I am working on brane-world cosmology. I have two questions:
1-What is the tension of brane?
2-In this model we say that our universe and all kind of energy is confined on 4-dimensional surfaces and only gravity can propagate along the fifth dimension (bulk). In some papers we can see they introduce a lot of kind matter for brane. Are they confined on another 4-dimensional surfaces or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
Abolhassan said:
Hi
I am working on brane-world cosmology. I have two questions:
1-What is the tension of brane?
2-In this model we say that our universe and all kind of energy is confined on 4-dimensional surfaces and only gravity can propagate along the fifth dimension (bulk). In some papers we can see they introduce a lot of kind matter for brane. Are they confined on another 4-dimensional surfaces or not?
I'm not sure what you're asking for point one. If you mean conceptually, well, then the tension on the brane is exactly the same as any other tension you might think of, such as on a rope. It's just a measure of how much the brane is stretched.

As for the matter being confined to the brane, what happens there is that you end up with open strings which have endpoints confined to the brane. These endpoints are identified with massless particles, and since it is expected that all particles in the standard model are massless, and the standard model symmetries are a subset of the string theory symmetries, it is expected that all of the standard model particles (plus some more) can be explained as being the endpoints of these strings.

Gravitons, however, tend to "detach" from the brane, so you can't confine them in the same way you confine standard model particles.

You'd probably find THE ENDLESS UNIVERSE from Paul Steinhardt and Neil Turok about cyclic brane cosmology worthwhile.

They discuss the relationships between brane kinetic energy, gravity, dark energy and brane movement and collisions...I don't recall brane tension playing any central role in their model...

A not very insightful summary appears in wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekpyrotic_universe

You might also find this discussion helpful...note D branes are the type in which you are likely interested...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_theory#Brane-world_scenario

Also the BRANEWORLD SCENARIO is a recent development in M theory...that we live in a three brane..

Finally, Brian Greene's THE FABRIC OF THE COSMOS Chapter 13 "The Universe on a Brane" should be right up your alley...

Last edited:
1- the brane tension corresponds to the vaccume energy on the brane, but it is not equal to the cosmological constant on the brane. I have read it recently from one paper. I want some information like that about tension of brane.

2- my second question is clear, I only like to know if the matter on bulk is confined to other brane or not. I am not good in string theory at all.

best wishes for all

There are different kinds of branes...p branes in M theory extend beyond the usual idea of two dimensions...p dimensions are possible whole numbers in M theory up to 10. It turns out that p branes can be heavier than strings in some formulations...so they generally have more energy as in string theory energy is associated with mass. But research by guys like Smolin,Strominger and and Morrison showed that they do not have to be much heavier than strings...and in those cases a brane can wrap around a higher dimension...a Calabi Yau shape...

Polchinski showed that p branes have the right properties to grip open string end points, constraining them to move within the p dimensional space they occupy.

Above is from Chapter 13, FABRIC OF THE COSMOS

What is the tension of brane?

The tension of brane refers to the force per unit length that is present in a brane, which is a higher-dimensional object that can exist within a lower-dimensional space.

How is the tension of brane measured?

The tension of brane can be measured by considering the energy density of the brane and dividing it by the brane's thickness or length. This results in a value that represents the force per unit length.

What factors affect the tension of brane?

The tension of brane can be affected by various factors, such as the curvature of the spacetime, the number of dimensions in the brane, and the type of matter present in the brane.

What is the significance of the tension of brane in theoretical physics?

The tension of brane plays a crucial role in theories such as string theory and brane cosmology, which aim to explain the fundamental nature of our universe. It helps to determine the dynamics and behavior of branes within a given spacetime.

Can the tension of brane be negative?

While the tension of brane is typically positive, there are some theories that suggest it can be negative in certain circumstances. This is known as "anti-brane tension" and has implications for the behavior and interactions of branes in a higher-dimensional space.